Author Topic: Bel Paese cheese--Update  (Read 4883 times)

qdog1955

Bel Paese cheese--Update
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:55:40 AM »
I’ve been looking for a cheese that I might be able to incorporate black olives. This recipe for Bel Paese, from the New England cheese site, caught my attention as a possible candidate.
   What got my attention, was the mix of cultures, the small amounts used, and the high temperature of the renetting.
   I’m always hesitant to use recipes from this site, as I have had some problems with some of them-----in all fairness, that was in my rookie days and the problems may have been inexperience.
   Recipe did not have ph-----but provided ph for those interested.
Just a couple pics follow
                                      Bel Paese------Date    4/08/2015

4 gal. whole P/H milk
MAO 11-----1/8th  tsp
MM100-----1/16 th  tsp
TA 62---------1/8th tsp
Geotrichum—1/32nd  tsp
Cal. Chl.-------1 tsp
S.S. renett-----2.5 ml.
Starting  ph   6.62
8:03   temp.  102 degrees----add cultures
8:08   start to ripen for 60 minutes
     Ph    6.46
9:10   start to raise temp to 108 degrees in 10 min.
9:18   reached 108 deg.----add diluted renett
9:25   floc in 6 min.---looking for 8
9:38   cut curd to 1/2  inch
9:41   rest curd for 5 min.
9:46   start real slow stir
10:14   settle curd
10:20   remove most of whey     
 ph  6.28
10:25   used press plate and pressed under whey, with light hand pressure for ten min.
10:45   placed in 7 in. mold, using muslin cloth
Press at 8 lbs
Flipped four times in next 1 ½ hours----increasing weight each time
11:52   ----  ph 5.76
12: 36  ------reached a ph 5.36-----couple hours earlier than expected-----placed in saturated brine for 5 hours
Air drying for two days ?
Weight out of press----4lb. 7 oz.
 Will follow up with progress report.
Qdog
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:56:35 PM by qdog1955 »

Stinky

Re: Bel Paese cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
So you're trying the cheese once before you put olives in?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
Where do the the black olives come in? :-\
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »
Well guys---I thought it would be a good idea to see if I even like the cheese first and how easy or hard to make---if I do the olive thing on the first make, I'm not so sure I could estimate how much olive might be to much or not enough----since I've never had this type cheese before and don't know how mild it is. I haven't seen a recipe calling for black olive and at this point not even sure what olives I'll use. Who knows, might need a little garlic, too.-----Make it really Italian
Qdog

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
That makes sense. How long will you age it?

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »
 The recipe calls for a total of about 7 weeks.
Qdog

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »
Okay. I'm interested to see what happens.  :)

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
Follow up on the Bel Paese  cheese-----after washing rind with 6% brine every third day for 3 weeks---did the final wash. It is then supposed to dry before wrapping in wax paper for 2 t0 3 weeks in the fridge at 40 degrees. Stuck it in the cave for a short drying spell----GRAY MOMENT HERE-----18 hours later---remembered the cheese------now severely dried and cracked-----and now have no idea what I should do-----wrapped in wax paper, and stuck it in the fridge for now------and it was looking so good-----probably shouldn't make a maintenance cheese in the spring---just to much else to do.  Check the pics-----any suggestions?
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Bel Paese cheese--Update
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »
Vac-bag it!
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »
I'm surprised that it dried and cracked that quick in the cave.  You can vac it but being a soft cheese it may distort it and add wrinkles.  It's a pretty cheese with just a couple of cracks and if it were me I would go ahead and wrap it in cheese paper, put it in the fridge for the term and trim anything that doesn't look appetizing when your ready to cut it. 

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 01:49:50 AM »
Hmm, I didn't realize it was a soft cheese. Looking at the recipe, it appears that it was cooked at 108° and pressed under "increasing weight" ... but then washed rind, so maybe softened by B. linens?
-- Andy

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 04:02:04 AM »
If it was me I would build a little smear with the brine and a soft brush and see if you can use the smear to coat the crack a little.  Or you could coat the crack with butter .

But the cheese sure looks good

qdog1955

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:05:03 AM »
John----how quick it dried surprised me, too. I think Doc is right about the Linens---the rind is thin and soft underneath---I think I'll go with your suggestion---I'm not sure what the 2 weeks ripening at 40 degrees in wax paper is supposed to accomplish----but if it gets some nasties, I'll get the scalpel out.
  Thanks for the suggestions guys-----I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple weeks.
Qdog

qdog1955

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
Well---I opened up the Bel Paese today. After the cracking incident, I just wrapped in wax paper and placed it in the 40 degree 'fridge for two weeks----no molds appeared. The texture is smooth and creamy, soft and pliable. The taste is slightly tangy----reminiscent of Caerphilly. This cheese is very much like Buttercase. The cheese melts very well----it's good on pizza---grilled cheese, crackers and casseroles.
  I am not a rind lover---the taste of the rind is not bad-----but I have been cutting most of the rind off----just my preference.
  Would I make this cheese again?-----Probably-----but I think I would go with raw milk next time around.
  Couple pics included.
Qdog 

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 11:40:35 PM »
Yo Q! That looks like you have created a brand new cheese - well done.  Still, the only mark of success.... will I eat it again ? if yes - Tick! if No - find out why and correct continue on.

AC4You !

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !