Author Topic: Bel Paese--Aging Instructions-help  (Read 879 times)

qdog1955

Bel Paese--Aging Instructions-help
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:46:35 PM »
    Below are the aging instructions for the Bel Paese cheese I made yesterday. The problem---it's supposed to air dry for a day or two first and then a ripening container-----but after the first day of air drying, I already have a white dusting on the cheese and I gather from these instructions, that should be happening two or three weeks down the road-----so now I'm not sure how to proceed. Give me some input guys.
Qdog                                                                                                     

The cheese can then be placed into your aging space at 52-56F and 90-95% moisture. I find a covered container works best for holding the moisture.   In about 5-8 days the surface will develop a greasy condition caused by yeast (natural from environs) which will dominate the surface. When this develops use a light brine wash (3-6% .. 1-2 tbs. salt to 1 cup cool water ) every 3-5 days for 3 weeks. A thin rind cover will develop as a dusty white surface and when suitably covered, wash off with 5% brine, then dry and wrap in waxed paper and store @ 40ºF for another 2-3 weeks until ripe

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Bel Paese--Aging Instructions-help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:30 PM »
Typically a white dusting will show up on the rind of a properly dried cheese.  If your's has this after one day then progress it into the cave.  You only had to keep it out to attain a dry exterior and you now have one.  If it remained wet you would keep it out longer.  Nothing is set in stone.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos