Author Topic: Mozzarella Help  (Read 8817 times)

Alex

Re: Mozzarella Help
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
Don't stir more gently. Stir vigorously but for 15-20 seconds maximum (not minutes!) and then stop the movement of milk and don't touch/disturb the milk.

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 11:31:26 PM »
Hi, I am not sure if other countries have them, but instead of a double boiler I use a large saucepan sitting inside an electric frypan with water, when teh curds ahd formed I transferred them into a large stoneware bowl then placed teh bowl back into teh electruc frypan, to assist in keeping everything hot. I have had comments from overseas visitors who say they have never seen electric frypans, they are common in australia and new zealand.

pamaples

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 12:44:44 AM »
I have an electric frying pan. It was my Mom's. It's square, is yours square? I'm gonna check to see how low the temp goes on that. Never thought of using it. Brilliant!

Pam

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 08:20:15 AM »
Yes, mine is square- the teflon coating is no good any more so it is perfect for using as a double boiler now.

Ariel301

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 04:47:33 AM »
Thanks to MrsKK for the recipe! I've tried a few different ones with rare successes, and this one worked for me. The mozzarella was delicious; it was so creamy and melty and wonderful!

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
I am going to make some more using mrs kk's recipe but am going to add i/2 teaspoon lipase powder to see what happens with the flavour

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »
Lipase takes time to work. Mozzarella spoils quickly.

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 07:20:10 AM »
Thanks for letting me know that, it was in a recipe I saw for mozzarella (i think Rikki Carrolls book) so I had stored the idea away thinking hmm I must try that. Cows have gone down in production because of bad weather so no extra left for cheesemaking at the moment. >:(

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 11:20:04 PM »
She may have been refereing to Caciocavallo Silano. It looks like mozzarella but is aged.