Author Topic: I am a limburger addict.. and new to making cheese  (Read 752 times)

mattybock

I am a limburger addict.. and new to making cheese
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:08:43 PM »
I've had Limburger cheese two times in my life. Once as a child, maybe 7 or 8, and I didn't care for it (probably due to be unable to appreciate it at the time) and once more just yesterday. It was heaven, and I indeed want more, but I'm in a fix; the only way I can get it is if I buy onlin, a bare minimum of $21 per 6oz blockette! Limburger is expensive, and so are the cultures used by home makers (ca $50).
So, I'd like to make my own Limburger culture so that I can make the cheese itself.

Is it possible to make my own culture from  what little Limburger I have left? (about 5% of the blockette), and if not, what can I do about acquiring the stuff for cheap?

John@PC

Re: I am a limburger addict.. and new to making cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:46:41 AM »
Hi Mattybock and welcome.  It's funny how our tastes develop improve over time.  I think there is only one place that makes commercial limburger in the US now so I'm guessing that's who you're talking about?

To answer your main question there isn't a Limburger culture per se but there is a culture you can use to make Limburger.  Also I would think you could use the cheese you have left but I'll leave it to one of the experts here to advise.  In the meantime keep some of that leftover Limberger on hand  :)