Author Topic: 1st Costwold (and stuff)  (Read 4534 times)

John@PC

1st Costwold (and stuff)
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:23:14 AM »
I was going to do a Double Gloucester but decided to go with it’s close cousin, a Cotswold.   Thanks to Stinky for linking Deejay’s recipe and I stole the floc multiplier and some other good advice from Boofer.  Costwold is interesting because presumably it is considered a cheddar that isn’t cheddared and milled.   My guess is because of the addition of the chives and onion which would be difficult to distribute post-milled.  Note: I'm posting this in the equipment board because while the cheese is conventional some of the equipment isn’t.

I also put together a video of the make for those of you that don't have anything to do for the next 8 min. ;).  I'll add the final pics and make log.

Ingredients:
4 gal whole Hickory Hill creamline milk (Edgefield SC.)
½ tsp. Danisco Ma11 (LL, LC)
10 drops annatto (diluted in ¼ cup non-chlorinated water)
½  tsp CaCl (diluted as above)
1 tsp single strength rennet (diluted as above)
1 Tbs. dried chives
1 Tbs. dried onions
2.5 Tbs. kosher salt
1  tsp CaCl2

Recipe:
Heat to 90º F; add culture
Ripen for 45 min.
Add Annatto, CaCl, Rennet
Floc time was 12 min.; with 3 multiplier total coagulation time was 36 min.
Cut to 1/4 inch pieces with square cutter
Rest 5 min.
Did a “gentle” stir for 5 min. breaking up curd pieces
Cook curds by raising temperature  to 104F over 35 minutes, stirring
Stirred at 104F until curds tested ready (15 min.)
Drained whey  (love the new drain, woohoo ;D)
Mixed onion, dill and salt into curds breaking up any clumps
Packed 6” dia clear mold
1st press:  15 min. at 20#
2nd press: 30 min. at 40#
Final press:  at 60# until whey expelled (took 5 hrs.)
Removed cheese from mold and started "Kerning" the cheese

more to come.

Stinky

Re: 1st Costwold (and stuff)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:06:36 AM »
Nice nice! You get another realer cheese.

kerning the cheese  ;D

Your curd looks so cool.

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 01:28:18 AM »
Thanks Stinky for the "realer" cheese.  For those of you scratching your heads I posted a cheese make before I actually made it  using Stinky's / Deejay's recipe.  So now there is a "real"cheese that I can post :) instead of a virtual one.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »
Really though, I think this cheese would be fun to make. Make sure to say when it's done, of course. How long ya taking it out?

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 02:03:39 AM »
Stinky, it's easy to make (except for the dag-nab stirring) and very aromatic with the onion and dill :).   Probably will take it to 2 mo. or so; recipe calls for 1 to 3 mo.

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 02:07:59 AM »
Stinky, it's easy to make (except for the dag-nab stirring) and very aromatic with the onion and dill :).   Probably will take it to 2 mo. or so; recipe calls for 1 to 3 mo.

Dill?

The combination of onions and chives does sound dericious. I'm planning to try mine at seven months or so.

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 02:17:51 AM »
Oops :o.  This will be interesting.

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 02:42:49 AM »
Better than "Costwold".  ;)

Kern

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 04:55:50 AM »
Video was great all things considered.  This alone is worth a cheese.   ;)  I saw a couple of things in the video that don't yet appear for sale on perfect-cheese.com.  These include the press base plate and the all new adjustable criss-cross pusher as well as the 8" high 1/4 cutter.  Care to estimate when these might become available?   ;)

qdog1955

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
Nice cheese---and nice Equipment ----I've made this cheese several times now and the only problem I have had, is getting the right ratio of onion and chive----I love onion, but wanted to taste some cheese, too. The first two were way to over powering---the third was much better---but I suspect the onion flavor might keep getting stronger the longer it's aged.
Qdog

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
Kern, the XX (translated either as Dos Equis or Criss-Cross) press is ready but I wanted to get some more testing done.  This was the 2nd cheese I made with it and it does work good.  I don't know if you can tell in the video but the pusher has a clearance at the bottom so you can wrap the cloth tails over the follower so you don't have those dreaded "tail" wrinkles to worry about.

Qdog, wish I read your comments before I pulled the trigger on this one.  The cheese is in the cave now but the smell of onion still wafts through our house :).  I'll probably cut this one young and hope it isn't too onionee :o.  Then again with the dill put in there by mistake hard to tell how it will be. 

andreark

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
John,

Nice video.  I can't find on your site the 'clear' rectangular pan with whey hose.  Will you have it soon?

andreark

qdog1955

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »
Must be getting old-----just now got the fact that you dilled when you should have chived. :) actually sounds good to me and might just prevent that over onionee-ess. Oh my, what's happening to the poor English language ?  :-\
Qdog

Spoons

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »
Nice work on your equipment John! I really like the press. Such a simple solution!

AC4U! :)

Kern

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »
I don't know if you can tell in the video but the pusher has a clearance at the bottom so you can wrap the cloth tails over the follower so you don't have those dreaded "tail" wrinkles to worry about.

I did notice that.  I also noticed that you were using your silicone edged cheese cloth.  Was this the 24-inch cloth and will the criss-cross work with either the six or eight inch mold?