Author Topic: Chr Hansen Culter Starter  (Read 2915 times)

adnanpic2000

Chr Hansen Culter Starter
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »
Hi, did anyone try Chr Hansen STI-12 cutler starter? I am having a problem. I added 1/16 tsp to my 5L buffalo milk and even after 1hr the milk was not ripen. There were small pieces but nothing like when acid is used. Then I added 1/2 tsp citric acid in 60ml, it ripped really good. When I drained the whey my ph was 5.1. I did a test stretch and it was good. then I put it in the press to release more whey. Then I tried to stretch no good stretch and the PH was 4.5.

Question
1-Should I add Rennet even there seems to be no milk ripen will it work?.  since may be the bacteria was there but waiting for the rennet?
2-Should I stretch the curd when I have 5.3 ph or ripping the cured will drop more ph even more.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Chr Hansen Culter Starter
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
When you are using a culture like this, it will take much longer to ripen to the desired pH -- several hours, depending on the temperature and the type of culture. Adding citric acid directly affects the pH, rather than developing it from the bacterial action.

Did you add rennet, or are you aiming for an acid-coagulated cheese?
-- Andy

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 01:08:40 AM »
I assume you are making mozzarella. If you are using the bacterial culture then you will need to add rennet. Here is one of many recipes available: http://www.cheesemaking.com/Mozz-Culture.html.

Susan

adnanpic2000

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:55:36 AM »
I am using the rennet tablet.

I want to understand does the ripened milk have distinctive feature such as clots or milk with cultures is ripped even with no trace of clots.
Should I wait for the milk to show clots then I add the rennet?

I have instructions for 500L. They say add the packet to the milk and wait 1H then add the rennet. while I am working with only 5L

Adding the citric acid gives my cheese a sour taste so I want to avoid it.

Kern

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 03:02:55 AM »
If the package of starter culture states that it will treat 500L and you have only 5L then you only need 1/100 of a packet.  You likely don't have a scale to weigh this so use about a bit less than 1/8 of a teaspoon.  Sprinkle it on top of the properly warmed milk, let it sit for about five minutes, stir it in and let it ripen for an hour.  THE MILK WILL NOT CLOT IN THIS TIME!  After an hour add the proper amount of rennet diluted in non-chlorinated water at room temperature.  Stir it in for about 60 seconds and still it until a pinkie finger inserted in it produces a clean tear.  Then cut it with a knife as called for and finish per the instructions. 

After you are done invest in a book called Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking by Caldwell (link below) and learn what you should do!   ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Artisan-Cheesemaking-Home-Scale-Producers/dp/1603583327/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429066920&sr=1-1&keywords=mastering+artisan+cheese+making

adnanpic2000

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 06:59:19 AM »
Thanks a lot kern for the feed back really appreciate that.

If you see the technical chart in my previous post, now the Question
I DO have to wait 3h for the PH to drop to 5.3 then add rennet?
OR
I DO NOT have to wait for 3H then add the rennet,
This chart seems to confuse me :-)

Because: This is what I was thinking looking at the chart,  wait for 3H for the acidification to drop to ph 5.3 then add the rennet. I could be wrong. Could this be the total time of the process from start to End?

I ordered the book as per your recommendation, informative and technical book.

Thanks

Kern

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
The pH drops usually about 0.05 in the milk at 90F an hour after the culture has been added.  This is the time you add the rennet.  The pH continues to drop in the curds and drops faster there than in the separated whey after cutting.  The pH will continue to drop in the curds as they are cooked and pressed and will do so as long as lactose is available.  Salting stops the action of the culture bacteria.  This will all become clear after you read Caldwell's excellent book.   8)