Author Topic: Starter reduction/control  (Read 844 times)

sir goatsalot

Starter reduction/control
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:55:19 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for information about reducing starters when the protein (casein) content changes in the milk. The "experts" (Paul Thomas, Ivan Larcher, Peter Dixon) all have differing opinions, at least in print. Some say yes, increase starter amount for a higher casein content (crazy range of 0.25-10%), some say don't, but just change the time you're adding it, and add diversity to adjunct cultures. Perhaps this is not the forum to answer this question, but it does plague me so. This applies to all rennet coagulated cheeses, at least as far as I'm concerned, but I'm posting here due to cheddar's popularity.

Thanks!

Kern

Re: Starter reduction/control
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
I think that changing the culture level in response to changing protein/fat levels and ratios occurs mostly in standardized commercial "big cheese" factories.  Here temperature is controlled more tightly than in small artisan cheesemaking operations as are other production variables.  So if the culture level were not changed accordingly other parameters down the line would be off.  The object with big cheese is to have everything behave the same way at the same time so that differences in the finished product are not detectable by the consumer.

sir goatsalot

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:46:17 AM »
I think that changing the culture level in response to changing protein/fat levels and ratios occurs mostly in standardized commercial "big cheese" factories.  Here temperature is controlled more tightly than in small artisan cheesemaking operations as are other production variables.  So if the culture level were not changed accordingly other parameters down the line would be off.  The object with big cheese is to have everything behave the same way at the same time so that differences in the finished product are not detectable by the consumer.

Thanks Kern! What's still left unanswered is in artisan production we do change temperature by e.g. 0.5 of a degree (celsius), so I don't know if this is a fair statement. And the advice I got to modify starter inoculation rates was from artisan cheesemakers/consultants. It was two against one to modify or not to modify. If we consider that we are dealing with living organisms, maybe temperature change is enough to generate more growth in the log/growth phase of the starter, allowing for more of a pH drop, and then tailoring further with cutting, cook temp, etc. I agree, a slight range is/should be acceptable in artisan cheese, but too much is not.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 12:05:25 AM »
I think that the main word here is 'Artisan'.  We can do whatever we like - really.  Consistency in operation and process, yes, but then as soon as you start worrying about half a degree either side or changing the culture by 10% I'd then say it is a product being made to a standard ... We go to a baker who proudly states on the door and above his products - "Different today - tomorrow ?" and he always sells everything he makes, everyday... being consistent doesn't mean being the exactly same everytime... Artisan.

--Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !