Author Topic: My first Parma  (Read 1213 times)

Offline DiamondDaveMg

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Jack of all trades....
My first Parma
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
I’ve only made one other cheese so far, a butterkase.  I started cheesemaking primarily to make Parmesan so i skipped over soft cheeses and got into acquiring forms and making a press and a curd cutter etc.

For my Parma, I made a 2 gallon recipe following John Kirkwood’s YouTube video

https://youtu.be/31FtzfAoHPo

I followed the recipe pretty closely, my stirring wasn’t ‘continuous’ and toward the end I didn’t really have tiny pieces of curd - they seemed more like bean sized rather than rice grains.  But I put them in the form and pressed them and I ended up with a nice looking 789g (1# 11oz) puck.  The milk I used was a combination of Rhonnybrook creamline, whole and skim milks.  In my area, that brand is available at Whole Foods, and is a higher quality than normal supermarket milk.

After some air drying it has a wonderful scent.  I covered it with cheese coating and vac sealed it and it’s in the wine fridge.  I don’t plan on waiting a full year to try it.  I’ll probably open it in 6 months and use a trier on it.

In the mean time I’m going to make a few other Parmas so I can have one aging longer than the other.

Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:44:07 PM by DiamondDaveMg »