Author Topic: Brie problems due to inexperience  (Read 3425 times)

Anselm

Brie problems due to inexperience
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »
Hi. This is my second brie at 18 days. Both developed these brown scorch type marks on the surface after 10-14 days. Is it mucor or some other unwanted bacteria? What do I need to do differently, please? Thanks for any advice.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Brie problems due to inexperience
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »
I'm not an expert but I think that's normal.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

LoftyNotions

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »
I'm no expert either, but I'd guess it's normal, and just where the edges are a bit dryer. It's also easier to disrupt mold growth there. I think it's looking really good at this point.

Larry

sir goatsalot

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
It depends on what temperature and humidity and what strain of Penicilium candidum (Pc) you're using. The most likely scenario that is causing the brown is when Pc begins to die it turns brown and smells more ammoniated. If you want to slow that down, you can choose a slower growing Pc (i.e.: not Pc Neige) but also adjust temperature. If you give me more info (cultures and aging conditions) I might be able to give you more specifics. But I'm also not an expert.

happy cheesemaking!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »
Do you monitor the humidity in the space where the cheese ripen?

Anselm

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
I'm not an expert but I think that's normal.

Thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.

Anselm

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
I'm no expert either, but I'd guess it's normal, and just where the edges are a bit dryer. It's also easier to disrupt mold growth there. I think it's looking really good at this point.

Larry

Thanks, Larry. Kind of you to respond.

Anselm

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »
It depends on what temperature and humidity and what strain of Penicilium candidum (Pc) you're using. The most likely scenario that is causing the brown is when Pc begins to die it turns brown and smells more ammoniated. If you want to slow that down, you can choose a slower growing Pc (i.e.: not Pc Neige) but also adjust temperature. If you give me more info (cultures and aging conditions) I might be able to give you more specifics. But I'm also not an expert.

happy cheesemaking!

Thanks, that's really helpful. I am using the neige culture. I drained and turned the cheese at room temperature for about 4 days, then into a wine cooler. It was looking perfect at that stage. The humidity was about 80% but has been as high as 94%. The temperature has been 10 oC.

Anselm

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »
Do you monitor the humidity in the space where the cheese ripen?

Thanks, Danbo. I do monitor the humidity and try to achieve a balance for the different cheeses. Generally between about 80% and 94% depending on whether I have one bowl or two of water in the cooler and the number of the cheeses.

sir goatsalot

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »

happy cheesemaking!

Thanks, that's really helpful. I am using the neige culture. I drained and turned the cheese at room temperature for about 4 days, then into a wine cooler. It was looking perfect at that stage. The humidity was about 80% but has been as high as 94%. The temperature has been 10 oC.

Neige is a fast growing strain. You get good coverage and fast growth, but left at room temp for 4 days (instead of 2), your Pc is going to get overly aggressive. I had good experience with the traditional strain VB from Danisco. If you use a pinch of Geo (17, also from Danisco), that will deacidify the lactic acid on the surface of the cheese and create the conditions for Pc to thrive, instead of leaving it in the warm temps for so long to get it started. Aging from 8-10 is fine, between 85-95% humidity.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
Anselm: I thought it might be a humidity problem but it sounds like you have that under control. :-)

Anselm

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:43:11 PM »

happy cheesemaking!

Neige is a fast growing strain. You get good coverage and fast growth, but left at room temp for 4 days (instead of 2), your Pc is going to get overly aggressive. I had good experience with the traditional strain VB from Danisco. If you use a pinch of Geo (17, also from Danisco), that will deacidify the lactic acid on the surface of the cheese and create the conditions for Pc to thrive, instead of leaving it in the warm temps for so long to get it started. Aging from 8-10 is fine, between 85-95% humidity.

Thanks. I have ordered the two cultures you recommend and will give them a go. Kind regards, Anselm.