Author Topic: Camembert #1  (Read 3925 times)

Flound

Camembert #1
« on: April 18, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »
Camembert 15/04/2015

Room temp 19.2C

8L 3.25% Farmers
2L 10% Blend Cream
2.6ml CaCl 60ml distilled water solution
2.6ml Calf Rennet  60ml distilled water solution
Morge of Camembert rind

9:00 16.0C added Camembert morge to milk, added CaCl solution, warming to 32.0C
9:45 23.9C moved to sink bath
9:52 24.5C
10:48 31.1C ripening for 30 mins.
11:15 32.8C added rennet solution, started timer
11:25 32.9C floc time 10:00 cut at 12:15
11:58 32.8C
12:13 32.7C
12:15 32.7C cut curd, let curd heal.
12:25 32.7C gentle stir
12:32 32.7C gentle stir
12:52 32.5C gentle stir
13:05 transfer and draining curds to moulds
13:35 in moulds
14:05 first flip
14:35 second flip
15:15 third flip
16:45 4th flip
18:35 flip
21:10 flip
16/04/2015
07:05 flip
14:35 flip, salted top 1.5g x 2, 2.1g and 1.2g, put in ripening box in cheese cave
17/04/2015
08:10 flip, salted the new top, same quantities. In ripening box in cave. Changed paper towel bottom 'mat'
18/04/2015
7:15 flip

Weights out of molds
280g half-Tomme
260g half-Tomme
219g baby Gouda mold
700g Tomme

Secondary coagulation. 360g of ricotta.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Camembert #1
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:49:22 AM »
Wow... that is a serious batch of Cams...  The three smaller ones are about the size I make - I'll be curious on how the larger one goes. If this is your first go at Cams don't hurry them... especially the large one.  When the P.C and G.C mold just covers them, like peach fuzz ! I'd get them into a cold fridge.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14002.15.html

Oh and certainly a cheese for theese.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Flound

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 11:52:27 AM »
Wow... that is a serious batch of Cams...  The three smaller ones are about the size I make - I'll be curious on how the larger one goes. If this is your first go at Cams don't hurry them... especially the large one.  When the P.C and G.C mold just covers them, like peach fuzz ! I'd get them into a cold fridge.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14002.15.html

Oh and certainly a cheese for theese.

-- Mal

Thanks, Mal.

I'm curious about the large one as well. I know they're not identical, but I've had success with larger Bries, so I figured why not.

I'm also curious about the smallest one, too. Mostly because it's formed in a 500g Gouda mold. It's just cute as the dickens...

LoftyNotions

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
Aw, that IS cute!  :)AC4 the cheesy family.

Larry

Flound

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
Fuh-ail.

Two syllables.

About three days ago I noticed a slight reddish tinge, and I figured some brevi was doing its best to make the Camembert into a pseudo Münster.

Alas, that was the yeast of my problems. Yesterday during the flip, the edges of all four wheels were turning soft and had a faint yellow cast to them.

Today, noticeably yellow, very oozy and to say the aroma of yeasty fermentation wafted forth would be an understatement (the picture doesn't quite capture the color, but it's  more yellow than that).The cake started collapsing on those edges, too.

Crapembert.

Bin? Meet cheese.

Flound

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
(sigh)

My latest Caerphilly seems to have got it, too.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14548.0.html

Edit; my meso culture was made from cultured buttermilk and not a proper culture (normally I use a few grains of Biena Meso A in UHT for starters, but went b-milk this time.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:27:20 AM by Flound »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »
Fuh-ail.
Ah, new blood...welcome to the failuresA)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Flound

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:17:56 PM »
Fuh-ail.
Ah, new blood...welcome to the failuresA)

-Boofer-

Ahh, I wish I was new to failure. Sadly, an expert.

More than once in my life I have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. :)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
Sounds like it's time to sanitize the cave and all of your equipment.  I do my makes in batches doing natural rind cheeses and then, after waxing or vacuum packing those, I do the bloomy rind, although I have experimented with covering blues with butter muslin.  After i do a batch of the bloomy rinds and want to change back I disinfect the entire cave and the equipment using diluted chlorine bleach in a spray bottle and the dishwasher with a cup of bleach in it.  There are lots of good things to sanitize with but the regimen of doing this every time keeps most of the unwanted molds off of my cheeses.  Last thing I need is cross contamination.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 07:37:55 PM »
And the butter muslin works, as far as you can tell? You said you put it on the bottom and the muslin over the blue cheese. Is it in a box?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 10:21:25 PM »
No, just covered the blue with it.  No box.  Seemed to work very well as errant blue turning up on anything else in the cave was minuscule.  You can see the covered blue on the bottom shelf.  These molds do move around as airborne spores so anything of this nature with a tight enough knit will stop them from spreading. I simply drape the butter muslin over the blue and gather it up under it.  Then I sit it on the muslin to seal it up.  I always keep the ones with molds on the bottom shelves as well.  Nothing falls up.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:28:32 PM by Al Lewis »

Flound

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »
Sadly, Al, I clean everything before and after a make, with a combination of diluted bleach solution, immersing in a boiling vinegar solution and/or Star San, object dependent. I'm quite anal about it. I don't even handle my cheeses without food service gloves, changing them between cheeses.

I recently sanitized my cheese cave, too and the Caerphilly that's undergoing the same process the 'Berts did, hasn't even been inside the cave.

At this point, I'm hoping it's the culture. I used a litre of cultured buttermilk and left it out overnight to thrive. However, instead of ice cube traying in the morning, I didn't get it frozen until the next evening. Nearly a full 12 hours longer than normal. And in my haste, my thought is that I didn't clean the covered ice cube trays before filling them. For the life of me I can't recall if I did or not.

I've already got a Parm out (came out of the brine today) and I'm hoping its not gear related, or this guy might be done, too, only I don't know it yet. Obviously, it's got a different starter and I know I sanitized those trays before used them.

Here's hoping.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »
Based on that I would have to say that your problem is not of your own making but some errant mold in the air.  It is pollen season although I don't know it any pollen could do this.

Flound

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 11:49:53 PM »
Based on that I would have to say that your problem is not of your own making but some errant mold in the air.  It is pollen season although I don't know it any pollen could do this.
AC4 your cave!