Author Topic: Boofer's Trappist (?) Endeavor  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Boofer's Trappist (?) Endeavor
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »
When I started this make (cheese #93), I thought I was heading towards my first Oka effort. Now, after additional contemplation, I'm staring at a blank canvas.  ::)  That's not a bad thing. Credit for starting me down this path goes to member leedsfan and his Oka recipe.

Part of that break in my focus can be blamed on combing through the different process details I have saved over the years. I have included some washed rind and washed curd docs as well as some thoughts captured from linuxboy's writings. The last four attachments are inspirational touchpoints.

My original focus was for a semihard cheese that would age well even after being sectioned into six or eight wedges and vacuum-sealed. That's the starting point. It is a washed curd cheese that will also be washed rind. That opens up a lot of choices for how to proceed.

Started make: April 17, 2015
Initial pH: 6.78

3 3/4 gallons Twin Brook Creamery 2% creamline milk (had to allow room in the kettle to add other milks)
1 pint Twin Brook Creamery cream (this is added because whole milk was not available)
8 oz buttermilk (this gives a little tang dimension and additional culture complexity)
1/4 tsp TA-61
1/4 tsp Alp D
1/32 tsp PLA (protects rind and helps develop paste)
1/16 tsp dry calf rennet in cooled 1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 tsp CACL in 1/4 cup distilled water

Brought milk to 96F.
Added cultures to milk, allowed to rehydrate for 5 minutes, stirred in.
Stirred in CACL and rennet at pH 6.50.
Flocculation after 10 minutes (the TA-61 combined with the buttermilk and 96F accelerated the floc).
With a floc factor of 3X, curds were cut 20 minutes later.
Stirring and watching for pH 6.4-6.45 for the point at which to drain 1 gallon whey and add in ~128F wash water.
Adding 128F water raised the kettle temp to 105F (a little higher than I wanted, but should still be okay).
Checking for pH 6.35, curds were drained at 6.33 @ 101F.

Curds to Plyban-lined mould and pressing under whey with 16 lbs to knit the rind.
The kettle rests inside a larger crab pot containing 2 inches of warm water. This assures a warm environment for knitting the rind.
Flipped & rewrapped after 20 minutes, pressing the same.
Removed whey.
Flipped & rewrapped after 20 minutes, pressing with 1.9psi (5 lb & 2 pulleys).
Checked pH after one hour... pH 5.22 ...Wow, very aggressive cultures!

Weighed wheel prior to brining...1854 grams (4.09 lbs).

Into prepared whey-brine saved from Tilsit #6 (3/12/15).
Brined for 14 hours, flipping at halfway point.
Into minicave to airdry at room temp for a couple days.
Checking, flipping, and drying wheel over the next couple days.

Looking to develop rind with a white wine wash. The linens and geo from the PLA should kick in fairly soon. I'd like to limit the linens development. The other PLA components will help.

My apologies for the slightly out-of-focus pic of me holding the curds. Managing to hold the camera in the middle of moulding the curds I guess was a little shaky, but I had a sudden urge to grab a pic.

This wheel joins the other three cheeses I've managed to crank out this year: Montasio #4, Tomme #8, and Tilsit #6.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Boofer's Trappist (?) Endeavor
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
A beautiful result Boofer!  Great to see you posting your makes.  I've learned a ton from them.  AC4U my friend!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

LoftyNotions

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Boofer, something is seriously wrong with the color balance in these photos! Your blue gloves look almost white! Is this another one of those things like the dress that was all over the internet? ;D

But really, very nice effort to this point. AC4U

Larry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:53:12 PM by LoftyNotions »

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »
After reading this may be my next cheese.  A cheese for your detailed instructions and especially for the interesting and informative references.   Every cheese has it's own story to tell and you do that well :).

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
Boofer, something is seriously wrong with the color balance in these photos! Your blue gloves look almost white! Is this another one of those things like the dress that was all over the internet? ;D

But really, very nice effort to this point. AC4U

Larry
What an eye for detail you have, Larry! :D

Sadly, I had to retire the blue nitrile gloves in favor of something that might not affect my hands as much. I believe I had an allergy to the nitrile gloves. The gloves you see are vinyl and work very well as a replacement. I don't always pull the gloves on, but believe that extra step during curd handling helps to reduce the introduction of any foreign incursions. Still, the orange B. linens schmier contrasted against the deep blue nitrile gloves was something to gaze upon and admire.  ;)

Thanks for the encouragement and the cheeses, guys.

I wanted to emphasize the importance of monitoring the pH progress of the cheese while in the press. In this make, the pH target was achieved within one hour. If I had let it go further (as in "overnight" as some recipes suggest), it would have been well beyond an acceptable pH and the cheese would have ended up dry, crumbly, and most assuredly acidic. For those who do not own a pH meter, the added measure of assurance and confidence that the device brings to the cheese making effort is well worth the expenditure. The time, money, and personal effort devoted to a cheese make has value that is compounded with the addition of a pH meter. And no, I am not a salesman or sidewalk vendor for any of the meter makers. ::)

After drying the cheese this morning, I moved it in its minicave into the Boofer Cave network.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
Boofer, I echo the value of the pH meter -- my Montasio over the weekend hit the target pH range in only 30 minutes in the press -- way too fast, and it was still quite warm. Almost certainly it would have bottomed-out overnight.

I also tasted just a bit of my last gouda, now six-weeks old; my earlier goudas were so-so on taste, but way too crumbly, no doubt because I simply pressed overnight. This one I kept a check on and pulled out at pH=5.3, and six weeks in it seems to have both a good taste and good texture.
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:44:02 PM »
Nice! :-)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »
This one I kept a check on and pulled out at pH=5.3, and six weeks in it seems to have both a good taste and good texture.
Amazing, huh?

Good for you, Andy. Seems like you've realized that elusive technique for actually sensing the state of your cheese. 8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
Ask me again in another 6 weeks! I may cut it then, at 3 months, and put half back to age out longer. Maybe. Depends on what else is coming due in the cave ...
-- Andy

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
That looks very nice Boofer!  A cheese to you.  Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »
At three weeks, getting a little Geo now. Looking good so far.

Snapped a group picture of the washed rinds I'm currently tending. Top left is the Taleggio #3. Top right is the latest: Reblochon #5. Bottom left is Tomme #8. Bottom right is the Trappist #1.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:18:07 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
Today I washed the wheel to remove the B. linens and prepare the cheese for sealing and continued affinage.

At five and a half weeks the rind has remained clean and unblemished. The washing every other day with a Riesling-based brine has developed a light schmier which I have endeavored to keep low. There wasn't much to wash/brush off this morning, which I did under cool tap water. I patted the cheese dry with paper towels and then let it air-dry at room temperature for a bit. Then I vacuum-sealed it, labeled it, and returned it to the cave. There it will stay for another month or so.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
We're days away from the three month starting point so I figured it was a good day to cut this wheel.

The cheese inside the vacuum bag remained pristine without any residual moisture (whey seepage), without any intruders, and without any lingering linens presence. Because the cheese was vacuum-bagged early, there was no hard rind development and the rind was evenly incorporated with the rest of the cheese. The texture was adequately moist and flexible with no sign of crumbliness nor gooeyness. The salt level was on the light side, possibly could be a touch heavier, but otherwise quite edible.

The flavor was mild with a slight tang in the background. This effort would be an excellent table cheese with fruit. It could find its way into a sandwich very easily. It would also be comfortable melted into some dish.

I may repeat this cheese effort down the road because it seemed to come together very well and aged very cleanly in the cave. Very respectable little cheese.

I think the Brothers at the Abbey would find this cheese acceptable. A)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Kern

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:39:05 AM »
Excellent.  AC4U!   :D

JeffHamm

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 02:24:05 AM »
Definitely worth a cheese!  Nicely done Boofer.  I'm hoping my Port Salut turns out even half as nice.