Author Topic: My First Halloumi  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: My First Halloumi
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 02:29:53 AM »
I made it for the wife and, no, she hasn't.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

valley ranch

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 08:13:43 PM »
Greetings Al, Were you pleased, you wife, with the Halloumi? Did she fry it or eat it with bread, olives and wine. Was it better than what she had, that she'd eaten before, if she had?

Richard

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 09:25:10 PM »
Ya'... halloumi can get ridiculously salty ... I made one batch and never again ... Still waiting to hear from someone that found one that works well and balanced... Both Mad Mille and Gavin Green have recipes (don't do the mad Mille one )

Tea

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 06:41:47 AM »
I have just stated making some goats milk halloumi again, but this time I decided to try a 12% salt brine instead of the 20% that the recipe called for.   So far that has met with rave reviews.

However if the cheese is too salty, you know that you can soak it in milk for a couple of days to lessen the salt concentration.

Hope she liked the cheese. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 04:20:17 PM »
Unfortunately, as reported, it was like chewing on a salt lick.  The brining called for in that recipe is totally wrong.  All future efforts will be with a lot less salt.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:36:52 PM by Al Lewis »

Stinky

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:09 AM »
It was likely the most disappointed I ever was about a cheese where everything went right according to the recipe.  :P Now you know, though. +C for, uh, knowledge

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
Yeah, not sure if this was a misprint or if Mary Karlin just doesn't know how to make Halloumi but she sure ruined my batch and considering what I had to pay for the goats milk I will be looking at her other recipes with a very skeptical eye. :o

Duntov

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
Yeah, not sure if this was a misprint or if Mary Karlin just doesn't know how to make Halloumi but she sure ruined my batch and considering what I had to pay for the goats milk I will be looking at her other recipes with a very skeptical eye. :o

Just curious Al.  I haven't over salted a cheese yet but someday I might.  I saw a post that someone said soaking an over-salted cheese in milk will help to draw the salt out.  I know that country ham is soaked prior to eating for the same purpose.  What are your thoughts on this?

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:05 AM »
I have seen the same suggestion for overly salty cheeses.
When I make Haloumi I simply vac pac it.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Stinky

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 06:12:09 AM »

I will say that on the whole I haven't been the most impressed with her recipes as far as being accurate to the types of cheese. I think after a while I just started checking multiple recipes for anything I mad and picking the stuff that seemed right from either one as a matter of course.

That said I'd be very surprised if that was intentional.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »

Just curious Al.  I haven't over salted a cheese yet but someday I might.  I saw a post that someone said soaking an over-salted cheese in milk will help to draw the salt out.  I know that country ham is soaked prior to eating for the same purpose.  What are your thoughts on this?
  Although this might be a viable means of rescuing a salty cheese, certainly sounds reasonable if the salt is on the surface, I strive to get them right the first time.  I also expect that anyone representing themselves as a professional, and writing a book, should make certain that the recipes contained in that book are correct.  I do recipes every week for Char Griller and actually eat everything I make prior to posting any recipes or videos.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:16:02 AM by Al Lewis »

wattlebloke

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 01:01:07 AM »

I will say that on the whole I haven't been the most impressed with her recipes as far as being accurate to the types of cheese. I think after a while I just started checking multiple recipes for anything I mad and picking the stuff that seemed right from either one as a matter of course.

That said I'd be very surprised if that was intentional.

I found her book early in my cheesemaking adventures: luckily I also found the corrections to her recipes on her website: 2 1/2 pages of them...
http://www.artisancheesemakingathome.com/pdfs/ACMH-CORRECTIONS.pdf

Stinky

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »
Even with the corrections, which missed a couple of things as far as I can tell, a lot of her makes just aren't accurate representations of the styles they claim to produce.

Defkalionas

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 06:12:45 AM »
Hi..in Cyprus we get 2 kinds of Halloumi..The soft ones..and the harder ones..If you want them to be harder you put them in Brine..then..you wash it with water.
If i can help out anyone please do ask me.
Thanks