Author Topic: Gouda - Dry/Squeeky Texture?  (Read 1677 times)

YooperBrew

Gouda - Dry/Squeeky Texture?
« on: April 26, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »
I'm new to cheesemaking, and learning alot by reading.  I have fresh goat's milk that I"m using.

I tried my first Gouda, using the recipe in the database.  It's now a bit over three weeks old, in the cheese cave at 50 degrees (but the humidity does drop to under 70% at times).  I'm not sure what the humidity level should be for the finished/aging cheese.  The rind is firm.  Anyway, I cut one open yesterday.  Great flavor, nice mini eyes, but a dry, almost "squeeky" texture.  Is this because of a lack of humidity, or because of something I did when making the cheese?  Or something else entirely?

Thanks!

Cheese Head

Re: Gouda - Dry/Squeeky Texture?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
Yooper, sorry for delay!

I just summarized 4 Gouda recipes, I've never made raw goat's milk Gouda but:
  • At 50F you are on cold end of aging recommendations.
  • Your humidity is way below recommendations of 85-90%, thus probably reason it's dry.
  • Small eyes are common but increased with higher drying/aging temperature.
  • On squeaky, sounds to me like slightly overcooked, too high a temp? There are some great comments below my OP there that may help you.
What were your making records, ie times and temperatures?

FRANCOIS

Re: Gouda - Dry/Squeeky Texture?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
It's only 3 weeks old, I'd expect it to be squeeky and flavorless.  If it's dry, meaning the body is very brittle, you didn't wash the curd enough and the lactic acid has continued to build.