Author Topic: Butterkäse (Butter Cheese) Damenkäse Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 7807 times)

mttbrwn

Butterkäse (Butter Cheese) Damenkäse Cheese Making Recipe
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »
For quite a while now, I've been looking for a recipe for German Butterkase. Not the quark/spreadable or paneer-type quick soft cheese (of which there are a few recipes floating around), but the gouda-like cheese as widely sold by boar's head or landhaus.

I'd consider myself an intermediate cheesemaker--I've made cheddar, colby, gouda, mozarella, provolone and even have a parmesan wheel aging. I've tried various permutations on recipes for similar cheeses without the desired effect.

Has anyone made this before? Can anyone point me to a recipe for this firmer type of butterkase (not the quick-cheese type). I've literally been looking for years, and would much appreciate any help.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Butterkäse (Butter Cheese) Damenkäse Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:36:02 AM »
Boy thats a new one on me. I will look through my books and see if I can find anything.

timnbama

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:15:02 AM »
I think that this is one of those closely guarded secrets of cheesemaking, as there is very little info on this cheese. I have looked and looked myself and can't find one. What I have found is that it is made from buttermilk and is only aged a month. That is a result of many hours on the net looking and finally getting that from an excerpted book that costs about $200. I don't know if it would have the actual complete process or not as some of the contents is colored over in the excerpt. Then on a couple of sites I've found that the rennet used in it is an "enzyme". Apparently under German law they don't have to list much as long as it's not classed as a colorant or something similar.

Bella

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:14:04 AM »
Hi MttBrwn

I spoke briefly to someone back about 5 years ago who had made ButterKase. In reponse to my request for a recipe, this was scribbled on a scrap of paper. I haven’t made this cheese, but I hope you can made some sense of it – at least it’s better than nothing I guess!

ButterKase

Thermophilic starter
Rennet

•   Heat milk to 35C
•   Add starter – 20 minutes
•   Heat to 40-42C
•   Add rennet
•   Cut curd into small squares
•   Stir and allow to settle
•   Pour off excess whey and add back the water to volume
•   Stir every now and then for ¾ hour
•   Ladle into a mould

Let us know how it turns out and if there are any tricks/tips we can use. Good luck!
B