Author Topic: Direct acidification mozzarella yield  (Read 1401 times)

kieran2698

Direct acidification mozzarella yield
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
Does anyone know if direct acidification gives a higher yield than cultured?  I assume that it must as it would not be possible to make ricotta following DA but I am not sure.

Kern

Re: Direct acidification mozzarella yield
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »
I can't answer your question but the point is academic in a way.  One uses direct acidification mostly for fresh cheeses and cultures for aged (2 weeks or greater) cheeses.  Why?  Because when they die culture bacteria release enzymes that aid in the flavor development of aged cheese.  You can't get these enzymes from citric acid coagulated cheese.  Check it out: Try making a cheddar cheese by using enough citric acid to drop the pH to about 5.2, finish in the normal way and see what you get.   :-\

kieran2698

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »
No, but you can make mozzarella.  And then the question becomes one of economics not academics.  Thanks anyway.

adnanpic2000

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
I want to try the direct acidification method but I cannot find how much citric acid should I use. I mean how to prepare the solution (how many tsp should 60ml or 70ml or 100 ml solution)  I usually make 2 gallons of raw buffalo milk.

CheesyAriel

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »
I normally use citric acid at 0.2% to cheese in 1-2 % solution. depends on pH, target 5.4-5.6
I want to try the direct acidification method but I cannot find how much citric acid should I use. I mean how to prepare the solution (how many tsp should 60ml or 70ml or 100 ml solution)  I usually make 2 gallons of raw buffalo milk.