Author Topic: Large Vat Caerphilly  (Read 9743 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Large Vat Caerphilly
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 09:10:03 PM »
A cheese to you for a great looking caerphilly!  The taste sounds spot on as well.  Nicely done.

Kern

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 12:24:20 AM »
Thanks for the cheese, Jeff.  Took a little wedge of my Caerphilly on vacation to the coast here in Washington State where the temps are only about 28C (84F to you locals).  Nothing like sitting in a chair, watching the surf and chomping down cheese and crackers while a fresh salmon cooks on the grill!   ;)

WisconsinDan

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 02:56:10 AM »
Just curious if you eat the rind on a cheese like this? I recently made a Caerphilly as well, without the mycodore, and am under the impression it would not be a terrible idea to simply let the rind run wild while patting the molds down a bit. I am asking not so much if the rind would be tasty, but more if it would be safe or if I should maybe consider cutting the rind off of any pieces before eating them?

Kern

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »
Being of the mind that discretion is the better part of valor, I chose not to eat it.  It was kind of hard and stiff anyway.

John@PC

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04:22 PM »
Being of the mind that discretion is the better part of valor, I chose not to eat it.  It was kind of hard and stiff anyway.
Or you can say being of the mind that the rind can be un-kind you chose to find one more refined (like maybe a Stilton ::)) Hope the mobile vacation was a good one Kern.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »
Ouch. I didn't know so many things rhymed with rind. Or semi-rhymed, if you're in a bind. But having thus whined, I'll cease to opine, lest in work I fall behind.

:)
-- Andy