Author Topic: Pressed Cheeses - Natural vs Oiling vs Waxing Rind Discussion  (Read 15070 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Pressed Cheeses - Natural vs Oiling vs Waxing Rind Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 02:41:32 AM »
I have to say I really like oiling my cheeses but I do a lot of Italian cheeses.

wharris

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
I oil my parmesan. 

zenith1

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 02:50:25 AM »
ditto- I oil my Parms, Romano, Manchego, Montasio.

MrsKK

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 12:08:38 PM »
I recently tasted three different cheeses I have ageing.  Two were closely wrapped in Glad Press n' Seal (I don't have a vacuum sealer), then put in Ziploc bags, the other was coated with lard.  The wrapped cheeses are about three months old, while the larded cheese is about two months old.

The larded cheese had much better flavor development and a much creamier texture (less dry) than the wrapped cheeses.

These were all cheddar types.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »
Karen made a good point. I think of the cheeses that require some sort of covering or sealing during the aging process the lard bandaged cheeses taste and feel more balanced and less rubbery or overly moist/dry than waxed or simply bagged cheeses.

I'm think that even though they are sealed by lard and cloth they are still allowed to breathe to some extent which helps them release internal gases for a more naturally aged cheese.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 12:34:33 AM »
If you want to be really confused...you can do mutiple ageing steps.  We have some cheeses that we put a rind on for a few weeks, then vacuum seal for a few more weeks, then un bag to dry.  It changes the flavor profile.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 12:44:59 AM »
That would work well for some cheeses.

humble_servant7

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
Welcome humble-servant7.  I have to admit that I have only skimmed through this thread, but you can also wrap cheeses, cover them in lard, and even age them in oil.

The different tecniques give different flavours.  I have made provolone and aged in oil and another without anything, just wiping in down every now and then with oil.

The difference in flavour was unbelieveable, and personally I prefered the cheese that was just wiped over with oil.

So try the different methods with the different cheeses and see which one you prefer in the end.

Lots of luck.

Wow.. thanks a bunch

humble_servant7

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »
I have to say I really like oiling my cheeses but I do a lot of Italian cheeses.

So does that mean Italian cheese doesnt have to be oiled or aged or something?

I ordered those two books that you told me but couldnt find the one called the "cheesemaker's manual though".

humble_servant7

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
I recently tasted three different cheeses I have ageing.  Two were closely wrapped in Glad Press n' Seal (I don't have a vacuum sealer), then put in Ziploc bags, the other was coated with lard.  The wrapped cheeses are about three months old, while the larded cheese is about two months old.

The larded cheese had much better flavor development and a much creamier texture (less dry) than the wrapped cheeses.

These were all cheddar types.

Wow.. I'ma have to try this method also.

In the meantime-- since I am ordering books on this subject to learn more.. are there any books you can recommend that cover the different aging processes (was,lard,oil, or vaccum-wrapped) and the different flavors/textures each different method yields?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
My point was that Italian cheeses are really good for oiling. Most are hard cheeses that require long aging times.

The Cheese Manual can be purchased here:
http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/kitvideo.htm

Direct from the fine lady who wrote it.

There does seem o be very little book space dedicated to aging cheeses. Usually there is a section that briefly mensions everything and that about it.

Cheese Head

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »
Agree with Debi, it is a much missed area, especially when last June my family and I were on holiday in Italy and saw cheeses wrapped in leaves and hay etc, there must be a multitude of ways!

Even this excellent book doesn't have a big section.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
Camembert was originally ripened in hay.  I have done dried leaves in terra cotta, oil, ash, cocoa, liquor, wine, beer, brine, leaves, smoke, spices, herbs, wood, fruit pressings, pastes... they were all good for certain cheeses.  You can pretty much try anything that comes to mind.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »
Seems I read somewhere they used to weave the hay to make molds for the cheeses back in the day. Boy they were good! I'd still be making my first mold!