Author Topic: Wholesale accounts through a retail shop  (Read 1591 times)

vagabondcheese

Wholesale accounts through a retail shop
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
Hi There,

I own a retail cheese shop that is a reseller, and I've recently been approached by several restaurants in my area who are interested in buying cheeses from us. I've never worked for a retail shop that did anything other than offer a small discount and consequently, did not do much restaurant business.

Does anyone have any experience with selling to restaurant accounts through a reseller, and have you seen a pricing structure that have seemed to have been profitable, as well as making sense for the restaurants long term?

I appreciate any sight y'all might have.

Thanks!

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Wholesale accounts through a retail shop
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »
It depends on whether a restaurant wants small cut pieces or whole wheels. There is generally too much labor in cut cheeses to give much of a discount. But cut pieces give chefs the chance to try new cheeses on a small scale. It also depends on whether you are buying direct from cheese makers or wholesale through distributors.

I would initially offer them 10-15% off of your normal retail price, but you might want to think about bigger discounts based on volume and consistent orders. You would in essence become a distributor and that could open lots of business opportunities if you want. You can always go to your sources and negotiate better prices based on expanded sales.

FYI - you should carry our cheeses for sale. ;)

boonecreekcreamery.com