Author Topic: Sacco Lyofast MW 036 R dose????  (Read 3321 times)

bratrules1

Sacco Lyofast MW 036 R dose????
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:41:05 AM »
I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on Sacco Lyofast MW 036 R dose per gallon?? Is it the same as aroma b and Flora Danica?? I bought some but it didn't come with any dose info.

johnr

Re: Sacco Lyofast MW 036 R dose????
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:12:08 AM »
@ Rules.  I use this one as well and these are very concentrated - no fillers added. 

Somewhere on the packet should be a total qty of milk this is for. I also use a set of mini-spoon measures http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13105.0.html
and two sterile jars. To find out how much culture in one gallon - and here is the conversion bit 1 gallon = 3.75 litres and the culture would be labeled as sufficient for say 200 litres of milk. Sacco are Italian therefore - metric measurements. basically I use 4 litres to a gallon just for easy maths.

Defrost the culture first otherwise it clumps together. Work fast as you dont want the culture to absorb too must moisture from the air.

Note how much milk the entire packet is for ...it should be on the packet somewhere.  I'm going to assume 200 litres as the ones I get are for that amount of milk. And because I use primarily 10 Litres of milk at a time I'll use that as the Target size.
I empty the entire packet contents in to a jar and then use the Pinch measure and transfer from one jar to the other and count how many pinches are transferred. I'm using 30 just for the example.
Mark the jar you just transfered to as "Stock".
It's a simple ratio after that: 30 1/8th to 200 litres = X/10(Target)  to solve the equation for X  (30 - measures X 10 litres)/200 litres (the entire package milk usage) = 3/2 Pinches or 1 and 1/2 Pinches per 10 litres - But it's cheese and not maths really so for me 2 pinches for 10 litres is close enough and as 2 Pinches make 1 dash measure - an 1/8th teaspoon. 

Seeing as you are asking for 1 Gallon (US or Imperial - I'm not sure cos they are diiferent) seeing as I'm keeping the Math simple I would simpliy that to 5 litres hence 1/2 of 10 litres therefore a 1/16th teaspoon for 1 gallon.  It really isn't necessary to be that accurate but it help in not wasting culture either.

So, now add back into the other jar enough for say 2 batches of milk - in your case 2 one gallon makes mark this Jar a "Use First".  Because you don't want to keep taking out your "Stock" every time as it absobs moisture, I transfer an amount from Stock jar into to the Use First Jar.  It keep the Stock fresher.

-- Remember Culture manufacturers are now indicating culture performance by Dose units per a given quantity of milk not by weight !   Do your own measurements  . . . These are just for example.

MO 036R is not the same as Flora Danica and it's makeup is dependant on the Culture house that made it is.

Attached is the Mo 036R spec sheet.  It is not a fast acidifier and is a bit of a CO2 Gas producer.  That said I use it in my Blues and Camembert with good results.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

bratrules1

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:25:31 AM »
Great thanks for all the info!!!