Author Topic: Safer cow raw milk  (Read 729 times)

johnr

Safer cow raw milk
« on: May 04, 2015, 03:28:43 AM »
I am a proponent of the use of raw milk and its benefits on flavoring and how it is supposed to be easier to form a curd.  That being said, I do want to share my cheeses with other people and I worry that I may assist in making some else sick.  For this reason, I am considering switching to low temp pasteurization. 

I made cream cheese today with raw milk and use low temp pasteurization.  My questions are:
    - How long do you think I should hold at 145 degrees?
    - How do you prevent some of the fat from separating as the milk heats up.  I saw some oil like bubbles as the milk reached 140?
    - How do you prevent a "skin" to form on the milk as it heats up?
    - Do you need to add calcium if the milk is low temp pasteurized?

Out of curiosity, if someone makes cheese with low temp pasteurization, are you still required to wait 60 days of agin?

Thanks
Thanks

Sweet Leaves Farm

Re: Safer cow raw milk
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
The rule for pasteurization is 140 degrees farenheit for 30 minutes or 165 degrees for 15 seconds. You must gently stir the entire time. Stirring will help the oil and skin forming problems. Once it is pasteurized you do not need to age it as long, but you might need to change cultures if you are used to using raw milk, in order to get hte flavor you're looking for.

Kern

Re: Safer cow raw milk
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
The 60 day rule for raw milk cheese aging was promulgated about 50 years ago by the USDA.  Theoretically, any pathogens present in raw milk would have perished in cheese after 60 days at temperatures higher than 35F.  Vat pasteurization at 140F for 30 minutes destroys these pathogens as well as beneficial bacteria and enzymes.  However, pasteurized milk can grow some nasty stuff if it becomes contaminated.  There is credible evidence that raw milk contains its own "immune system" against many pathogens and is actually more resistant to future exposure than pasteurized milk subject to the same exposure and conditions.  The point of pasteurization is to kill pathogens that may have gotten into the milk from sick cows or unsanitary conditions in the dairy.  If the raw milk source is clean and good then the raw milk is safe for any cheese.  The raw milk I buy here in Washington state comes from dairies certified for the sale of raw milk for drinking.   ;D