Author Topic: Camembert # 2 (Malembert # 1?)  (Read 1377 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Camembert # 2 (Malembert # 1?)
« on: May 04, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
I made my second Camembert-style cheese just under six weeks ago, aiming for something akin to Mal's (OzzieCheese) "Malembert," though with a few differences:

1 gallon P&H whole milk (3.2%?)
1 gallon P&H 2% milk (2.0%)
3 cups UP light cream (20-25%?)
1/4 tsp MA011
1/16 tsp MD088
1/32 tsp PC
1/64 tsp GC
1/8 tsp CaCl (crystals, dissolved in ~2 Tbs non-chlorinated water)
1/2 tsp single-strength calf rennet, diluted in ~1/4 cup non-chlorinated water)
4-1/2 tsp pickling salt

Heat milk to 90°F, add cultures and molds, ripen for 90 minutes.
Add CaCl, rest 5 minutes
Add rennet, stir in, still milk, set for 60 minutes (should be a very firm curd)
Cut into 3/4 - 1" cubes, rest five minutes
Stir gently for 15 minutes, then allow to settle for 15 minutes
Ladle curds into 3 6" molds. Flip every 15 minutes for 1-1/2 hours.
Leave in molds overnight, 10-12 hours.
Remove from molds; pH = 4.7
Sprinkle 3/4 tsp salt on top of each cheese; wait 8-10 hours, then flip and sprinkle 3/4 tsp salt on the other side.
Ripen in ripening boxes in the cheese cave until well covered with PC, then move boxes to fridge.

If you compare to Mal's make (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13412.0.html), you'll see that mine is pretty close, except 1) not quite as much fat (?); 2) larger and fewer molds (3 instead of 6); and 3) a bit more salt -- I don't remember the percentage of salt I was aiming for, but I based it on Caldwell's book.

Compared to my first Camembert make (which was thinner, and had less fat), these have taken a long time to ripen. They got covered over in white PC with the yellowish GC underneath quickly enough -- within a week? I think? -- but then for the longest time, as they stayed in the cold fridge, they didn't seem to be doing very much; maybe a little soft on the edges, but still quite firm in the center. But finally, in the last week or so, they began to feel distinctly more squishy. Interestingly, each of the three seems to be on a different timetable -- one has clearly been further along than the others, and one has clearly been much further behind -- but all three are definitely progressing at last.

I couldn't stand waiting any longer, and so I opened the furthest-along one of these this weekend -- and wow, is it ever good. The paste is gooey on the outside, shading to creamy but firmer on the inside. The taste is marvelous -- tangy and a bit salty (maybe I did get too much salt?) -- and unlike my first cam, the rind is quite pleasant as well.

This definitely gets repeated!
-- Andy

Flound

Re: Camembert # 2 (Malembert # 1?)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »
AC4U!

Nicely done....

LoftyNotions

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 03:24:50 AM »
Beautiful, Andy. Another cheese for you.

Larry

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:48:20 AM »
O M G !!!! in the biggest letters.
Looks like mine...  if I could award multiple cheeses then I would.  These do take a little longer to go gooey all the way through but the extra cream also keeps them longer.  We just finished the last on eof the last batch out at 9 weeks and it was strong but still so very creamy.

Well done

-- Mal   
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 03:51:13 AM »
One thing I forgot - the thin rind is a function of getting them into Cooler temperature as soon as they fuzz up - Peach fuzz covering.

again... Well Done.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

shaneb

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:56:02 AM »
Looks great Andy. A cheese from me also.

Shane

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 05:04:45 AM »
Mal, you were definitely my inspiration on these! I am going to try to keep my paws off the other two long enough for them to get gooey-er (is that a word??), but I am not sure how well I will succeed. I've already eaten 2/3 of the first one, despite trying to restrain myself enough to be able to enjoy it over several days.

On the rind, I would have to say that it doesn't necessarily seem thinner, exactly; it's just that it seems to taste a lot better. On my first cams, I ate the rind ... but only after I ate the paste, so that the earthy taste of the rind didn't throw off the enjoyment of the paste. On these "Malemberts," there is still a bit of earthy taste to the rinds, and I don't know that I'd want a cheese that only tasted like the rind. But eating the rind does not throw off enjoying the paste, and in fact I have quickly come to the realization that eating the rind together with the paste is quite heavenly. :)
-- Andy