Author Topic: Anybody making Kefir?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Anybody making Kefir?
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »
I searched the forum, and it looks like it has been a couple of years since there was a Kefir thread. I have been attempting to culture Kefir ... not very successfully. I bought some Kefir grains via Amazon (perhaps my first mistake?), and they came smelling very yeasty. For about a week and a half, I have been faithfully following the printed procedures, but every time it seems to go from nothing for several hours, to separated globs half an hour after that. No matter where I stop the fermenting, I'm getting a strong alcohol/yeast flavor, but not much else.

Do I have bad grains? Bad technique? Can anybody help ... ?
-- Andy

jmason

Re: Anybody making Kefir?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:58 AM »
Andy, that doesn't sound normal at all.  The smell you should get from a kefir is kind  of buttermilk, maybe a bit of yeast, but I have never had the alchohol smell.  You didn't describe the procedures you followed so it is hard to comment on that aspect.  I had originally gotten my kefir grains from an individual on ebay and they were very inexpensive and to date have performed flawlessly.  I leave my grains in the kefir until ready to make a fresh batch then strain the grains, add to a new jar, and pour fresh milk over them.  Leave on the kitchen counter for about 24 hours and then to the fridge.  it is important if your grains are small to not overwhelm them with too much milk.  Better to start small and work them up to a larger amount.  My guess is that your grains are not very good but without more info and maybe photos it's hard to say.  Don't give up though kefir is a wonderful probiotic and the easiest culture imaginable.  Good luck, let me know if you need more help.

John

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:26:26 AM »
My wife is a Kefir smoothy nut and I make a pint every 2 days. It takes 2 or 3 minutes. I also got my starter grains on Ebay ( cheap ). The smell is a sour smell, not yeasty so you may need new grains. I put the grains in a clean pint jar and cover it with a paper towel and rubber band, then leave it on the counter until I can see whey on the bottom of the jar ( usually 24 to 48 hours. You can leave it longer and it gets a little more sour but is still fine. To keep the grains when not making, just put it in milk and put in the frig.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
Thanks, John and Smolt -- I was pretty sure the strong yeasty smell and taste were not quite right, though all I have to compare to is store-bought Kefir. As for procedure, I added 1 cup of milk to the grains (that's the amount called for in the instructions), let it sit 24 hours, and then strained. Initially not very much happened in 24 hours, although even then the dominant smell and taste was of yeast, but after two or three batches, I started getting the extreme separation.

Smolt, you say that you leave it until you see whey in the bottom of the jar -- do you get a lot of separation of whey and curds? Do you just stir it back together, or ... ? When I have tried to stir the separated product back together, I get a grainy texture ... along with the yeastiness!

Based on what you all are saying, I'm thinking I need to try again with a different batch of starter grains. Interesting that you both got grains from eBay -- I hadn't thought about that avenue ...
-- Andy

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
There is usually about 1/2 to 1 inch of whey on the bottom of a pint jar. I stir it up and put it through a fine strainer with a taping motion. Before I strain it the grains are at the top of the jar and the texture is slightly grainy. I started with about 1/2 teaspoon of Kefir grains and the grains double in size about every 3 months.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
Smolt, does the result stay mixed, or does it tend to separate back out?
-- Andy

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »
I don't know. I put it in the frig and the next day it is always gone.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:13:42 AM »
That seems like a good sign ... :)
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »
Just to follow up: I ordered a new batch of kefir grains from eBay -- I never would have thought of trying that approach had it not been for the experience of John and Smolt. And now I can add my positive experience as well. I'm getting a great product from these grains -- the right kind of tang, just a hint of carbonation (sp?), and smooth, not separated, texture. I've only made three small batches thus far, so too early to tell whether the grains will grow, but I'm certainly off to a much better start!
-- Andy

jmason

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »
very cool, glad it is working for you! :) :) :)

John