Author Topic: Caciotta  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Caciotta
« on: May 10, 2015, 06:40:55 AM »
I felt the need for some chees that I wouldn't have to wait too long for. Usually that means Caerphilly but I wanted to try something new and settled on Caciotta.
I started yesterday using the recipe from the New England Cheesemaking recipe as follows:

6 litres Fleurieu whole milk. P = 3.3%, F = 3.8%
1/5 tsp (1.0 ml, 1 rounded tad) thermophilic starter
1.7 ml rennet in 30ml water (should be 1.5; increased due to the age of the rennet)
1.5ml CaCl2 in 30ml water

Warmed the milk to 37o C. 
Add the starter, rehydrated for 2 minutes, stirred and left for 41 min.
Stirred in the CaCl2 and rest for 6 min.
Stirred in the rennet for 2 min, covered and left until I got a clean break at 35 min. (Target = 20 min. Obviously I need some fresh rennet.)
Cut the curd vertically to 20mm  . Rested 5 min and cut horizontally.
Stirred very slowly for 5 min. Raised the temp. to 39C over 10 min and continued to stir at that temperature for another 10 min.
Removed the whey to the level of the curds and stirred gently. Transfer the curd to a cloth lined mould.
Moved  to a warm environment (33-38C)
Turn the cheese in the mould at 15 min and turn in the cloth after another 20 min.
Left for a further 1.5 hours, turning every 20 min. Removed the cloth for the last 40min.
Removed to room temp until evening. Transferred to 13C overnight.

Today I brined them for 1¼ hours. They are now safely back in the cave.
This was interesting in that it was quite different to other cheeses I have made. It was also quite a simple cheese to make.

- Andrew

shaneb

Re: Caciotta
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 07:16:15 AM »
They look great to me. How long are you planning on maturing them for? Have a cheese from me.

Shane
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:37:54 AM by Shane »

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »
Thanks Shane. The recipe says 2 weeks to 2 months. I will probably open one in 2 or 3 weeks and then start oiling the other for a few weeks longer.
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 08:27:30 AM »
Excellent. It will be good to hear how different they taste.

Shane

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:20:14 AM »
Well, 11 days on from starting this and things are not going as expected.
The recipe said to store at 13C and approx. 90% humidity, turn daily and wipe with 6% brine.
I stopped the washing after 2 days as the cheese was still wet.
After 6 days each cheese was still losing 1-2 ml of whey per day so I removed them from the fridge to room temp (17-20C, 65-80%RH) to dry a bit.
After 4 days, I returned them to 13C/90% humidity and resumed the washing. They now have a slightly slimy feeling and I think I can detect the start of BL. (A couple of slightly orange spots and the telltale smell.)
I don't think this is how a Caciotta is meant to go but given the washing and the humidity level I'm not at all surprised.
As a confirmed BL fan I'm not worried. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
- Andrew

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 04:40:32 AM »
Two weeks ago I made a decision to move one out of its aging box to a humidity of about 80-85% to encourage the rind to dry. I also reduced washing to the minimum needed to keep it mould-free.
I opened that one today and am very pleases with the result. Texture: semi-soft and springy. Taste: Good. Fairly mild but nutty and with a little thermophilic tang.
For a fairly easy make and short affinage, this is quite a rewarding cheese.

I have continued to wash the other one, with some BL added to the wash and keep it in an aging box at 90-95% humidity. The plan is to keep it for a few more weeks and see wht happens. It is already showing signs of softening a little.
- Andrew

jmason

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
That's a very nice looking paste, I love the holes.  And your description of the flavor makes it sound quite nice.  Could there be a new cheese in my future, and a new bacteria in my kitchen to boot.  Could happen.

Nice write up prawn and a pretty cheese
AC4U

John

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »
A few weeks on from my last update and I opened the second of these today.
The B Linens had developed nicely which has softened the paste somewhat and added its own charater to the taste.
The result is quite similar to a Tallegio.
- Andrew