Author Topic: transport calf rennet hıgh temperature  (Read 4044 times)

Hansadutta

transport calf rennet hıgh temperature
« on: May 10, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »
Hello all,

My wife is living in Turkey which ıs already about 30 degrees celsius. She wants to buy calf rennet from a shop but is afraıd that the rennet will be destroyed by the high temperature durıng the transportation. I guess that it can become up to 40 degrees in a car.
Can rennet survive this for 2 days?

Regards,
Hans

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: transport calf rennet hıgh temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »
put it on ice in a drink cooler
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Hansadutta

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
Hi H-K-J

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of something like that. I wish that I would live more according to your motto. I on the other hand am a strong believer in Murphy´s law.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:27:25 AM »
It will lose effectivity. Calf rennet should be refrigerated. It also needs to be protected from sun light. You can always try it.
You may need to add heaps though to get a good set.

Hansadutta

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
Hello Francois,

Thanks for the warning, I would not like that to happen. It sounds like the end of a hobby.
I found a box in which it can be stored for at least 48 hours with lots of ice. That should be ok since most of the journey will be during the night. (I did some research)
I have faith in it now.
Regards
Hans

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
Most companies in the US ship Rennet using standard shipping method which may expose the items to high temperatures during shipping and shipping transit is more than a few days.  How does it survive here?.  I often wonder if my rennet is fine although it took two days to get to me for both my cheeses it did just fine.  It was transported and exposed to 80 degree temperatures in route to me.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
40c isn't the same as 80f. It won't be killed straight away but it will lose effectivity. If you order calf rennet from any manufacturer it will be sent refrigerated. The only rennet I've come across that doesn't need it is Marx me from Danisco.

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »
hi

Where do you order that the rennet comes refrigerated?.  I would like to purchase from there too :)

Thanks

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:54:12 PM »
I have now left the cheese manufacturing industry but we used to purchase directly from the manufacturer (i.e. danisco, renco or hansen) It was then sent via overnight courier in a chilly bin.

Hansadutta

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:05 PM »
Hello again Francois,

maybe I should open another topic for this but should the dried cheese starter cultures and other dried bacteria also be treated with this much care or are they ok when sent at let's say 80F?

I actually tested some dried beer yeasts a year ago. I did not expect them to be very fragile but I wanted to sent 25 packages to turkey so it became a financially interesting question. (Even more important; it would be a disaster when you prepare beer to find out that you cannot ferment it.)
I kept them in an oven at a temperature of 105 to 115F for a week. I made beer with them and the yeasts were still in perfect condition.

Regards
Hans

FRANCOIS

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »
It should be frozen if at all possible. The cultures will become active and lose effectivity. It won't happen overnight and on a small scale you may not notice it if the temperature abuse has been constrained to a few days.

Hansadutta

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 09:08:31 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers. I enjoy making cheese a lot and have read some things about it but the more you read about it the more you realize how little you know. I am glad that you could help me with this practical advise.