Author Topic: New from Austin, Texas  (Read 1692 times)

joamariel

New from Austin, Texas
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »
Hey everyone! I have been looking into cheese making for quite some time and have decided that the time to start is now. I have been reading a lot about making cheese with raw unpasteurized jersey cow milk or sheep milk which all looks amazing. I am a cook so I know my way around a kitchen. I was hoping to get some suggestions though for a first time recipe to start with and what types of tools/equipment/reference material I should set myself up with. I would love to hear back from yall.

Cheese Head

Re: New from Austin, Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:39:42 AM »
Howdy joamariel and welcome, I expect you'll get lots of advice, for them new to cheesemaking. A few of us built this sticky with some good starter ideas especially if you have no Rennet, which will be your first non-normal kitchen requirement, after that CaCl2, then starter culture, list is endless :). FYI I found rennet in one of two Whole Foods Stores, since then I've ordered everything online. For soft cheese you'll need more molds and cheese cloth, for harder more hoops and presses and time.

PS, our Junior/Grade 11 daughter was in Austin today for State High School Choir Competition!

John in Houston (well Katy actually on west side).

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:28:47 PM »
Welcome!  One of the easiest, non-specialized equipment/ingredients cheeses you can make is queso blanco, which only requires warming the milk and adding either vinegar or lemon juice.  IMHO, it has a tofu-like consistency and can be used in much the same way.  It does not, however, melt.

If you use raw milk, CaCl2 won't be necessary.  You can go really elaborate with cheesemaking, or you can keep it simple.  We have all kinds out here.

joamariel

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice and the references yall. I think I am off to a good start. I am going to try a queso blanco and a mozzarella this week. Wish me luck.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:45:51 AM »
Welcome and good luck with your first cheeses joamariel!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:38 AM »
Good luck, need I say more?  ;D