Author Topic: Vegetable rennet opinions/ experiences  (Read 2479 times)

amiriliano

Vegetable rennet opinions/ experiences
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:33:13 AM »
Hi all-

I'm going to try to make a few Cam style cheeses for people who have dietary restrictions. The cheese must be made with vegetable (non animal) rennet. I bought double strength.

Any opinions here? Is it truly weaker? Advice?

Thanks!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Vegetable rennet opinions/ experiences
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:01:14 AM »
I just made a gouda with double strength veg rennet. Usually for 4 gallons of milk I use 3 ml of single strength calf rennet. With the veg rennet I used 1.6 ml, and the coagulation was about 10 mins rather than 13-15 which is what I usually see. So I would say it is double strength!
Susan

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:30:06 AM »
The Danisco rennet is the best on the market by far. I have shown it has at least a 10% better yield than their main competitor in factory trials. You can get it in powder for too and it's super stable.

amiriliano

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
Very helpful. So I guess I should treat double strength veg as I eould calf. Literally cut amount in half.

Kern

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
The Danisco rennet is the best on the market by far. I have shown it has at least a 10% better yield than their main competitor in factory trials. You can get it in powder for too and it's super stable.

How do you measure "yield"?  By this do you mean that if you took eight gallons of milk, mixed it together and then divided it exactly in half you'd get 10% more curds by weight with the Danisco rennet that you'd get from their main competitor? 

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »
I measure the solids in the milk. Make cheese. Measure final kgs of cheese. Subtract moisture content. That gives you total solids captured.  Alternatively you can measure solids lost to whey but I was already measuring the above data do it was easy.
Essentially how you describe it is correct though. I averaged 5 to 10 percent improvement. Plus Marzyme is powdered so it stores easily and is easier to prepare.

Kern

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 12:26:57 AM »
So to measure solids - is it a simple matter of taking a wet sample of known weight, evaporating the liquid, weighing the residue and then doing the math?  This would give a figure for total solids that would include solids that generally end up in the whey - whey protein, calcium phosphate, lactose, lactic acid, etc.  These "solids" generally don't end up with the curds regardless of the rennet used.  Would you not also have to take these into account in your yield calculation?  As an engineer I'm trying to understand your methodology.   ;)

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 12:35:12 AM »
No actually that's how you get moisture. For solids you use a machine called a milk-o-scan. It tells you the solids profile.

amiriliano

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 01:35:07 AM »
Francois are you a professional cheese maker?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 01:45:29 AM »
I was for 11 years. I left last year and now work in another field.