Author Topic: Healing curds  (Read 2556 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Healing curds
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 04:06:55 AM »
Kern, that is exactly what I do! Using my hands until the curd is a bit more sturdy works very well for me. It is also much easier to gently break apart the clumps that sometimes want to form. I have done gouda start to finish just using my hands for stirring and this was really a nice experience. One with the curd and all that. Can't do that with thermophilic though.... I took a class with Peter Dixon and he gathered up the curd from an asiago (118 degrees) that way - I think he may have scalded his arms so many times that he no longer notices.
Susan

FRANCOIS

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 04:28:02 AM »
The wisk is used on hard pressed cheese where your final curd size is the size of a large grain of rice.

Kern

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 04:34:25 AM »
Susan,  I am glad to hear that I am not alone in hand stirring.  Your hands tell your brain much more about what is going on in your vat than a spoon ever can.  I've also noticed that the stirring seems to go much faster when you close your eyes and become one with the curd!  Sounds weird but there is something very sensual about hand stirring that seems to eliminate boredom!   ^-^

Stinky

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »
Agreed with the hand stirring. You can get the clumps, you can feel the curd, it's easier on it...