Author Topic: My new hispanico using my new manchego mould!!  (Read 5442 times)

bratrules1

My new hispanico using my new manchego mould!!
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
Well I finally bought myself a manchego mould. One day before I decide to use it I decided to boil it taking it part and boiling the pattern strip and boiling everything separately. I was surprised to find that when I went to fit the strip back in the mould it had shrank a bit. But oh well I went ahead and made my hispanco anyway. This was a 5 liter batch using skim milk and cream. Everything went great aside from my cheese having a scar running down the side (which i cut off anyway). I would like to hear from other manchego mold owners to see if this has happened to them before!! Oh and I would like to thank Danbo for all his help. I've attached a few pics!! before and after the brine.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: My new hispanico using my new manchego mould!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:14:28 AM »
Looks great! :-)

A scar is normal when using pattern strips. This one looks a bit large, but as you said; just cut it.

Nice result.

:-) Danbo

bratrules1

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:43:05 AM »
Here it is with a olive oil and paprika rub.

shaneb

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:19 AM »
It looks brilliant. Have a cheese from me too.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:02:00 AM »
That's a beauty! :-)

None of mine ever looked that good.

That really deserves a cheese!

:-) Danbo

bratrules1

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:29:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies!!! Now am going to age it for at least 5 months then i'll cut in to it.   

qdog1955

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »
Brat----real nice looking cheese---AC4U
 Once bought a mold and follower and did what you did----boiled it, the mold was fine -----the follower melted on the bottom of pan.
Qdog

Kern

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
Once bought a mold and follower and did what you did----boiled it, the mold was fine -----the follower melted on the bottom of pan.

This topic brings up an interesting question:  Is it really necessary to boil something to sanitize it?  Would heating to 180F accomplish the same thing?  How about 161F for several minutes?  Milk is pasteurized at this temperature for 15 seconds.  Would holding a mold at this temperature for 15 minutes not kill everything on it?  What is "magic" about 212F?  Maybe it is just a convenient temperature because water boils at this temperature.  The pot is boiling or it is not boiling - very easy to tell.  Not boiling? Not sanitized!  I am having a hard time buying into this especially because I make beef jerky and we never take it higher than 160F.  Has anyone seen any studies on this or are we simply relying on the proverbial "old wives tale"?   :-\   

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
Kern----I don't know the basis for the boiling----but I know at times they issue an advisory to boil the municipal water for 15 minutes. because of some contaminant-----so maybe there are some tough pathogens out there that need a good spanking.
  I do it on all new equipment to help remove manufacturing residues.
Qdog

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »

This topic brings up an interesting question:  Is it really necessary to boil something to sanitize it?  Would heating to 180F accomplish the same thing?  How about 161F for several minutes?  Milk is pasteurized at this temperature for 15 seconds.  Would holding a mold at this temperature for 15 minutes not kill everything on it?  What is "magic" about 212F?  Maybe it is just a convenient temperature because water boils at this temperature.  The pot is boiling or it is not boiling - very easy to tell.  Not boiling? Not sanitized!  I am having a hard time buying into this especially because I make beef jerky and we never take it higher than 160F.  Has anyone seen any studies on this or are we simply relying on the proverbial "old wives tale"?   :-\

I suspect it's just easy. My father, who phD'd in microbiology, said one has to boil for ten minutes to properly sanitize. I think sufficiently hot water should do the trick, and, hypothetically, the hotter the better. What sufficiently is I cannot say.

bratrules1

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 04:12:01 AM »
This is why from now on ill just stick to star-san for my moulds. Anyway I spoke to Yoav over at artisangeek.com and he said that he would replace the pattern strip for me.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 05:45:01 AM »
And a cheese from me..  More and more I'm amazed at the skills of people here and the gear one can get - that looks absolutley amazing..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

bratrules1

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »
It's been 5 months and I decided to cut in to my hispanico. The flavor is good its a little bland. I used some C101 since I had no MA4002. But overall I say its still a very good cheese.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 02:56:46 AM »
A Cheese for your lovely looking one.  I really like the rind treatment - well Done...

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

bratrules1

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 03:38:49 AM »
A Cheese for your lovely looking one.  I really like the rind treatment - well Done...

-- Mal
Thank you Mal. The rind taste really good also.