Author Topic: Low fat white mould cheese  (Read 1468 times)

shaneb

Low fat white mould cheese
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
Hi all,

Are there any low fat white mould cheeses out there to make? My wife loves brie/camembert, but cannot eat it regularly. She asked me if there was something low fat that I could make. Would camembert work with low fat milk?

Thanks all.

Shane

FRANCOIS

Re: Low fat white mould cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:50:28 PM »
It will work but you'll want to go with a stabilized recipe. If you use low fat milk in a surface ripened cheese it will turn completely liquid. Unless that's what you are going for....

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:19:16 AM »
Thanks Francois. Do you have a suggested recipe? With stabilised, do you mean adding a bit of thermo starter to the recipe?

I just realised that I posted this in the wrong white mould forum. Is there any way of moving it?

Thanks.

Shane

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:26:11 AM »
I'm  sure I've put up a stabilized recipe on here before. Basically split your starters half meso half thermo. Start your ripening at the meso temp then increase to thermo temps until you hit your pH marker. If you need a specific recipe I can dig one out for you tonight.

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 04:53:17 AM »
Thanks Francois. I've found this thread (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,7198.msg51358.html#msg51358) which I think gives me a recipe to follow. I'll trial it with a very small batch size and see how I go. If you do have easy access to a recipe that differs from this one, then I'd greatly appreciate a copy. I started going through all 54 pages of your posts, but that process was a little overwhelming.

Shane

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 05:20:33 AM »
What cultures do you have already?

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 05:32:30 AM »
I have:

Meso

MM101
MA16
Flora Danica
CHN22

Thermo

TA61
LH100
DYV17

Plus PC. I don't have GC at this stage.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
I did end up attempting a low fat stabilised camembert make. Below is a copy of the make sheet and initial photos. I had leftover curds, so I've attempted a Cambozola as well. The PC was not added to the milk, but situated on later. The majority of the make is based on LoftyNotion's Cambozola make (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14480.0.html), but with Francois' suggestion of making a stabilised cheese.

This afternoon I've seen the first signs of white fuzz.

Thanks all for your advice.

Shane

P.S. having issues posting this message....