Author Topic: Holandes Gouda Colonial Mold  (Read 1464 times)

IllinoisCheeseHead

Holandes Gouda Colonial Mold
« on: May 16, 2015, 03:59:40 PM »
Hi

I purchased a Holandes Gouda Colonial Mold that has a flat follower.  I did not realize that it was flat and ordered it.  I am making Gouda today and don't really understand how am I supposed to flip this cheese while pressing.  Is it ok to flip even though the top and bottom are of different shape?

Thanks

Stinky

Re: Holandes Gouda Colonial Mold
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
My brother works on a dairy where they have this sort of mold. I asked him, but he said it evens out. I'd go ahead as planned, and perhaps towards the end of pressing use only light pressure on the round end to keep it rounded while allowing the other end time to take the same shape.

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 05:28:40 PM »
Ok.  I will try it.  I am waiting to cut the curds and will add a thread on how my Gouda went today.  I am taking a little different approach with regards to PH and working towards 6.45 at initial hooping time (what Dixon recommends).  I am using starter culture per Sailors recommendation as well.

Thanks

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:49:13 PM »
It worked perfectly.  Not as exactly as like a gouda but since it is only a fraction of the cost of a gouda mold, I will NOT complain :)

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:32:39 AM »
Yay, congratulations! Make sure to make a thread and post pictures and make notes.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »
Surprising  ;D As a Dutchman living near Gouda I never saw moulds like this.
But here we use a method called "Rechten" (translatable as "Straitening out") where we flip the cheese after pressing and put in back in the mould for a night before the cheese is brined. That way the rim fro the follower will disappear and the cheese gets a nice even shape. Will work with this mould as well....

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Surprising  ;D As a Dutchman living near Gouda I never saw moulds like this.
But here we use a method called "Rechten" (translatable as "Straitening out") where we flip the cheese after pressing and put in back in the mould for a night before the cheese is brined. That way the rim fro the follower will disappear and the cheese gets a nice even shape. Will work with this mould as well....

But then you have to compensate during the make so the acidity does not get so low.

hoeklijn

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
When the Gouda is washed twice and stirred well during the washing, you wash away most of the milksugars, which would otherwise be transformed to lactic acids by the culture. The straightening is something that is done by all cheese producing farmers here in the neighbourhood  :D

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
Yeah. So do herman's trick but make sure you use a Gouda recipe that calls for sitting out for a while before brining.