Author Topic: Blue Gouda - smoked?  (Read 3166 times)

jimk

Blue Gouda - smoked?
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:14:47 AM »
Has anyone ever smoked a blue gouda? If so, was it good?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Blue Gouda - smoked?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:51:19 AM »
Couldn't get it to light...
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:27:42 AM »
I've never had any properly smoked cheese I didn't like----key word is properly smoked---it's easy to over do----wrong wood for type of cheese----to long in smoker---not to mention that every one has a different preference for the amount of flavor and type of smoke. How long it is stored in its wrap makes a huge difference.  Don't be afraid to experiment-----start out light----keep some notes----and change the next one to your preference.

And don't listen to the Aussies-----they will smoke anything :)
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:09:03 AM »
Once in a blue moon ... :)

Actually, I'm intrigued by the "blue gouda" -- got a recipe?
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 04:06:44 AM »
There's one in Karlin's book. Apparently you wax it and blue grows inside.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:42:22 AM »
hahahah!  I've never smoked, I couldn't see the attraction --- Oh you mean Cheese that is smoked !  - Alright I'll stop now..  ;D  It is something I would love to do :)
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

jimk

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:56 PM »
I used the recipe in Mary Karlin's book.

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 12:02:16 AM »
I've never smoked any cheeses, so I can't really help, but please let me know how this works out! I've always rather wondered.

jimk

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 12:22:31 AM »
Alrighty then - smoking it with cherry wood - we shall see.

Kern

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 04:11:56 AM »
Alrighty then - smoking it with cherry wood - we shall see.
When you smoke a cheese you have to be careful to keep the temperature below about 75F.  Go higher than this and the fat in the cheese starts to melt creating all sorts of problems. 
Caldwell recommends using a soldering iron in at soup can filled with wood chips as a source of smoke.  In a decent sized smoker at 60F or less ambient temperature should pose no problems with heating above 75F.

jimk

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 01:16:21 AM »
Good to know Kern - thanks!

LoftyNotions

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »

When you smoke a cheese you have to be careful to keep the temperature below about 75F.  Go higher than this and the fat in the cheese starts to melt creating all sorts of problems. 

+1 to this. 75 - 80° F is about as high as you can go with cheese, or any cold smoked product. Before I threw away my POS Bradley smoker, using just the 150 watt puck burner gave me approximately a 60°F rise over ambient. With the puck burner located in a remote box and ducted into the main cabinet there was still a 30°F rise.

4 suggestions:
1. Do a trial run without any cheese in your smoke enclosure to characterize temperature rise and amount of smoke..
2. Try a run with some decent commercial cheddar.
3. After smoking, seal it up and wait at least 3 weeks before tasting it. Cheese can be pretty nasty right out of the smoker.
4. Just hang some fresh smoked bacon in your cave.  ;)

I like smoked cheese, but I don't think I'd want to smoke one of my own labors of love.

Larry

LoftyNotions

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »
I don't have any personal experience with these products, but a lot of people seem to like them for cold smoking.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER 6X6

Larry

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »
I do have the Amazin 6X6 and love it.  That said there are some very nice hi-tech smoke pistols out there that could be worth looking at.  Larry has some very good suggestions about trials, etc.  Also like he said I wouldn't smoke a AAA cheese you made, but for A, B and even (especially) C grade cheeses you have smoke up :).

qdog1955

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
Any one who is interested in a smoker should check out this http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12018.msg92374.html#msg92374   I have made two of HKJ's smokers----a little larger version for my 21 cubic ft. smoke box and a smaller brass version for my gas grill----both work better then any smoker I have tried. By the way, thanks for posting that smoker build.
 If I remember correctly he has smoked blue cheese.
Qdog