Author Topic: Um. Bye-bye Beaufort?  (Read 1635 times)

Stinky

Um. Bye-bye Beaufort?
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:57:37 AM »
I started making a Beaufort on Friday and had to rush out of town due to an emergency. I'm back now on Monday evening. I had ripened the milk, so I poured it back into jugs and refrigerated. I doubt the pH would be the problem, but I would worry about contaminants? Can I just heat it up and continue or shall I stop as is and get rid of the milk and try again.

qdog1955

Re: Um. Bye-bye Beaufort?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:56:20 AM »
Stinky----know how you feel------maybe you could try making it into ricotta? Don't know if that's a possibility or not.
 Qdog

Kern

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:47:07 PM »
Stinky,  I always like to ask in a situation like yours:  "Do you have a cat?"  All kidding aside is the value of the milk worth the risk (albeit likely small) of getting sick?  I'd toss it and start over but it is your call.

Kern

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:34 PM »
Stinky----know how you feel------maybe you could try making it into ricotta? Don't know if that's a possibility or not.
 Qdog

Well, the question still stands if it's contaminated. If so, I wouldn't want to make anything with it.

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
That's why I was thinking ricotta-----your going to heat it up to 200 degrees----that ought to kill the bad boys.
Qdog

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:14:42 PM »
Since nobody here knew or responded, I emailed, among others, Caldwell, and got a response within 45 minutes.

"Definitely get new milk. Not sure what temp the milk sat at over that time period, but even refrigerated you will have had the growth of psychrotrophs that will adversely effect the cheese. Not to mention other changes that just aren't worth your effort to continue. The rest of the process and your final results deserve a fresh start! "