Author Topic: Newbie cheesemaker with challenges!  (Read 684 times)

Seamonster

Newbie cheesemaker with challenges!
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:19:49 AM »
Hi,
I am new to cheesemaking. Have just made mozzarella and feta for the first time at home in NZ. They won't win any prizes, but they look like cheese!
I will be in the Uk for June and I will be buying supplies there, before heading off to strange places again.
I want to learn, so that I can make cheese on our sailing boat when we are anchored in remote locations where we can't buy edible cheese.  My main problem will be milk supply - my only reliable option is powdered milk, or worse still, UHT.  Any pointers to information about this would be appreciated.
My other challenges will be : no freezer, but good fridge and can make a small amount of ice; 
I have to buy any starters in the Uk and take them with me; oh, yeah and 35 degree heat and lots of humidity.....
Thanks for help

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
Re: Newbie cheesemaker with challenges!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »
You won't have to stir the curds just come up into the wind and let the boat stir for you. My wife and I cruised on a 32 ft sailboat for 5 years and I think that making anything except  fresh cheese like moz or fetta will be a real challenge on a sailboat.

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
Fresh Latin American cheeses---like Queso Fresco, might be an option.
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
I'm concerned about the amount of success you will have with powdered or UHT milk -- ricotta, sure. But you may have trouble getting a curd set that can lead to other types of cheeses.

Maybe someone here will have some experience that will counter my concerns!
-- Andy

guerrillacheese

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
Hey Seamonster

I'd suggest finding good milk in your ports of call, then making and aging those cheeses aboard your vessel;  That way you'll have cheeses to remind you of the flavours of the lands you'd visited, and fun projects to watch over as you sail.  You won't have much luck making cheese with powdered milk aside from kefir, yogurt and yogurt cheese - maybe ricotta/paneer.  Rennet won't work with powdered milk...Got room for a goat aboard?

David
---
www.theblacksheepschool.com
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:54:11 PM by guerrillacheese »