Author Topic: Stinky's Double Gloucester #2  (Read 2195 times)

Stinky

Stinky's Double Gloucester #2
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »

4/25/15

Ingredients

2 gal. whole p/h milk
1/8 tsp. annatto
1/4 tsp. Meso II
3/8 tsp. CaCl2
3/8 tsp. calf rennet
1 1/2 tbsp. salt

7:40 Started heating milk to 90 º F
7:57 95º F, cool off
8:15 90º F, add culture, ripen for 1 hour 20 minutes
9:36 Added CaCl2 and rennet, Floc 3x, 12 minutes set
10:15 Cut to 1/4 inch, stir for 15 minutes
10:30 Stir for 45, raising to 99º F
11:15 Stir for 20
11:35 Drain, start cheddaring
11:50 Flip
12:05 Cut into 4 pieces, stacked,
12:24 Flipped
Kept stacking and flipping until
4:20 Salted, pressed with a lot of weight.

I waxed it and plan to crack it in July next to my 7 month old stirred curd version.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:56:06 PM by Stinky »

Kern

Re: Stinky's Double Gloucester #2
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:16:49 AM »
Looks good.  Thanks for the recipe and all the pictures.  AC4U!   ;D

jmason

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »
Nice post Stinky.  Interesting that you salted after cheddering, is that typical for a gloucester?  Any significance to starting your pressing at 4:20? ;D ;D ;D   Looks like a good day of cheesemaking, ACFU .

John

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:56:20 PM »
Nice post Stinky.  Interesting that you salted after cheddering, is that typical for a gloucester?  Any significance to starting your pressing at 4:20? ;D ;D ;D   Looks like a good day of cheesemaking, ACFU .

John

Thank you. :)  I believe it's typical for all cheddar types, reason being that the cheddaring process lowers the pH pretty quickly and once it hits the right mark you mill and salt.

I... do not understand.

Thank you Kern as well!

jmason

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »
420 is stoner code for time to toke up.  A few stories around about how it started.  It was a joke I couldn't resist. 

John

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 01:20:30 AM »
NIce Post from me as well... The progress photo of the curd knit is a good example for what to expect. The final knit looks great. :)

A cheese is in order !

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:49:51 AM »
NIce Post from me as well... The progress photo of the curd knit is a good example for what to expect. The final knit looks great. :)

A cheese is in order !

-- Mal

Thanks!

If you like this, you should like my Fast Ripening DG, as it's been cut already.

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »
Good job Stinky on a "tough to knit" cheese so a cheese for the effort.  Maybe it's here somewhere but what was the press weight progression you used?  I'm always interested in the personal "tips and tricks" that are used to end up with a well-consolidated cheddar.  Something tells me you go by feel rather by rote.

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 01:41:20 PM »
I was using a screw press. I can't tell how much I put on, but I pressed it pretty darn hard.  :D

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:45 AM »
@Stinky... How is this one going..  One thing I noticed was the sizes of the milled curd sizes are quite large -not that large is bad, just different.  I hand mill mine down to about first joint of my thumb size.  The larger sizes might not get the salt into all the curds and making a closed knit a little harder than it needs to be.  Mind you these are pressed quite high,  maybe it doesn't matter.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Stinky

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:18:54 AM »
@Stinky... How is this one going..  One thing I noticed was the sizes of the milled curd sizes are quite large -not that large is bad, just different.  I hand mill mine down to about first joint of my thumb size.  The larger sizes might not get the salt into all the curds and making a closed knit a little harder than it needs to be.  Mind you these are pressed quite high,  maybe it doesn't matter.

-- Mal

My cave broke, so it's been in the fridge for the last few weeks. It seemed to knit well, we'll see. I might mill it more next time. :)