Author Topic: More cheese than expected and other questions  (Read 1312 times)

IllinoisCheeseHead

More cheese than expected and other questions
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »
Hi

I built a new curd cutter, after looking at other postings, where I am using a hypodermic tube (22g) as my horizontal cutter.  For the first time since I started making cheese (2 months), I can say that my curds are uniform and hold their shape with minimal shattering.  However, I am now ending with more cheese than expected.

I use Jersey raw milk and expect to end up with 2.5 pounds of cheese out of 2.5 gallons.  This weekend I made a gouda and a colby and ended up with 2.9 pounds of Gouda and 3.1 pounds of colby.  Why?.  Although the pressing seems to be fine where rind is not closing too fast and on the last press virtually no more whey comes out, It seems that the cheese is spongier than before (bounces more).

None of my cheeses are ready for eating yet so I can't even tell how good they are going to be.  But I am worried now that I am getting so much cheese that there is something wrong.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:24:49 AM by IllinoisCheeseHead »

Stinky

Re: More cheese than expected and other questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
And you're stirring constantly?

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
Yes I am.  I don't think the curds rested, unless intentionally, more than a few minutes ever.  However, if I had not, would it not be the opposite?.  Meaning that if I were to not stir, the weight of the curds would force more whey out.  Right?.  Just making sure I understand how this all works :)

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
No. By increasing the movement of the curds, you're helping them firm up and expel whey. If you let them sit, there might be some moisture expulsion due to weight, but it would be uneven, and you would have problems during pressing. What kind of milk are you using? Could it be high in fat content?

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Jersey cows.  But I have been using jersey raw milk for a while now.  I usually get cheeses around 2.75 pounds but this weekend the yield increased by 10% at least and the only difference was the better curd cut.

The only explanation I can make is that I had less tear so perhaps that kept more whey inside the curds.

Is it normal to expect 3 pounds of cheese out of 2.5 gallons of milk?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:46:51 PM »
My most recent cheese make was Montasio which is a thermophilic cheese with a lot of stirring and cooking. With 3.5 gallons of raw Jersey milk, I still came out with 3#10oz of cheese. The yield with Jersey milk is often high. But when I make gouda, the yield is even better!
Susan

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
Yes, then I think you're just seeing the result of happy cows.

Of course, not as happy as California cows, but what can you do.

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 01:42:08 AM »
Ok.  So the rendered amount of cheese is not a real constant?.  I mean I knew that it could never be the same but I am yielding about 20% than I first started whereas when I started I was getting about 1 pound per gallon.  I know get out of 2.5 gallons of milk, I get 3.150 pounds of cheese.

Kern

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 03:51:43 AM »
Generally, spring cow's milk is higher in protein and fat than at other times per year.  This is especially true of Jersey's.  I made a six-gallon cheddar a couple of weeks ago from raw Jersey cow's milk and ended up with a seven pound plus cheese.  Yields change during the year because of the changes in milk.