Author Topic: Tomme 8 Gal Washed Curd 4_27_2015 Make  (Read 3805 times)

LoftyNotions

Tomme 8 Gal Washed Curd 4_27_2015 Make
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »
Here's my second stab at a Tomme.

Ingredients
8 gal. Whole Creamline Milk
8 cubes MM100
3 cubes TA61
Mycodore, BL, Geo, KL71, 1/16 tsp ea.
2 tsp CaCl
90 drops rennet

Directions
Warm 8 gallons milk to 88 degrees F. Add CaCl, cultures and adjuncts while warming. (overshot to 90).

Ripen for 30 minutes at 88 F or until pH drops at least 0.05. (75 minutes)

Add rennet dissolved in 1/4 cup distilled water, stir up and down 1 minute or less.

Wait for flocculation, multiply by 3 to get total set time from the time you added rennet. Time to floc target is 15 minutes. Use more or less to try and hit the target the next time if you're off a little. (Actual Floc 14 minutes. Cut curd at 42 minutes).

Cut into 1 inch cubes, let rest 5 mins. Whisk to ¼ inch. (Cut at 10:00)

Heat to 92 degrees while stirring gently over 15 minutes.

Draw off enough whey to equal 1/3 of the total milk amount (2.7 gallons, or 40 cups). Before you draw it off, heat the same amount of water to 130F. (Use 125° next time). Drain off the whey and add the heated water in two stages. Add the first half and stir gently for 5-10 mins until the curd firms up a little more. Then add the second half. Your final temp should be the same as with a normal tomme, right around 100F. Do not heat to the high end of mesophilic (105). You do not want acid production to be that fast. If concerned about temp, add the heated water in three stages so you hit 100F. Then stir the curds until they are the right texture. You can tell this by pressing a tablespoon of curd in your hand. It should mat together slightly and be somewhat firm. (Curds were clumping at 10:48. Started settling).

Drain whey and consolidate curds by applying light pressure with a mat. pH should be 6.35 or higher. (pH was 6.5). Put into cheesecloth lined mold. This cheese sticks, so soak the cheesecloth in pH 5.2 whey beforehand.

Press twice at 10 pounds for 30 min, 16 pounds for 1 hour, and subsequent presses at 1 hour increments at 20 pounds.

Press until pH is 5.4 or overnight. (pH 5.38 at 2:15 PM).).

Salt with a total of 2.2% of cheese weight, distributing over top, bottom and sides.

Leave at 55-65 degrees for a day at ~70% RH for the outer rind to dry a little before moving to the cave.

Morge wash consists of 4% salt, and 1/32 tsp each of KL71, B. linens, Geo15 and Mycodore. Cheese is flipped daily with the top and sides getting washed. Daily wash continues for 1 week, Continuing with an every other day wash regimen for the second week. Washing starts around day 6, with morge being prepared on day 5.

Age 3-6 months at 50-55F, 85-92% RH (or higher if using special rind treatment or making a b linens variant). Natural or oil rubbed rind.

Cheese weight out of the press was 3827 Grams. Dry salted over the next 2 days with 84 G. salt.

Larry

Kern

Re: Tomme 8 Gal Washed Curd 4_27_2015 Make
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 08:13:39 PM »
Lofty:

Looks like the ten-gallon pot is back in action!   ;).  I note in your recipe that you are adding some "trace cultures":

Mycodore, BL, Geo, KL71, 1/16 tsp ea.  These are added to the cheese milk and then a similar blend is used as the wash.  Do you get better results when the adjuncts are added both to the cheese and the wash?

Kern
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:52:32 PM by Kern »

LoftyNotions

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
I'm not sure it makes much difference, Kern. When I started making Reblochons, that was part of the recipe I followed, and I've just continued. The morge mix is the important part of the process.

Yeah, now that I've figured out that 8 gallon makes don't take much more time than 4s, I'm leaning in that direction. It adds a few twists that have to be overcome, but so far it seems to be worth it.

Larry

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
Nice write-up, Larry.

Sweet-looking cheese too. :)

Have a cheese for your efforts.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Kern

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:39:32 AM »
Yeah, now that I've figured out that 8 gallon makes don't take much more time than 4s, I'm leaning in that direction. It adds a few twists that have to be overcome, but so far it seems to be worth it.

I've got an 8-inch full size steam table pan that I use on a Presto griddle and have become partial to larger batches.  I can easily do six gallons in the vat - seven would be tight.  I've found a double size 8-inch pan that will do 12 gallons but the batch would be relatively shallow and quite wide complicating mixing and stirring.  It would take two griddles to heat it.  While this might work it would require using two electrical circuits because of the 1800 watt load on each griddle.  The engineer in me keeps grinding away trying to come up with some elegant solution to this problem.   :o 

jmason

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 01:37:31 AM »
Kern,
I would think the easiest way would be to measure the height of the presto and rip two wooden supports to that height, center the double pan on the griddle with the two wooden supports as outriggers to stabilize the pan.  A double pan would be about 20 x 24 yes?  Perhaps silicone a piece of felt to the support boards to account for miniscule height imperfections and keep it from wanting to turn.  I have to believe that 1800 watts is plenty of power to maintain and raise temps, but you may want to prewarm the milk to speed things up a bit on the front end a bit.

John

PS. You know you guys are a bad influence on me and might inspire me to upsize my cave earlier than I had anticipated with all this big batch talk.  Lets see now, how many molds will I need for a 8 gallon camembert make.  te he
 >:D

Kern

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 03:40:21 AM »
Lets see now, how many molds will I need for a 8 gallon camembert make?

Sixteen!

Thanks for the ideas on the double vat.  Something to consider.  I did a lot of water heating tests on the 8-inch vat.  I found that using a 1/4-inch aluminum plate on the griddle with shims of aluminum foil between the flat plate and slightly curved griddle made for the fastest heat transfer.  With six gallons of water in the vat I could heat at a rate of 1 degree F per minute with constant stirring when the griddle was set at 350F.  Interestingly, the rate did not drop appreciably until the griddle setting was below about 250F.  This is because the griddle could heat itself a lot faster than the vat could pull heat out of it.  As expected, the rate dropped when the water sat still in the vat.  I did the math on 1F/minute with 51 pounds of water and came up with about a 60% efficiency (energy going into the water divided by 1800 watts for one hour). 

Incidentally, when you do 50 pound makes you don't pour the whey out by tipping the vat!  (Can you say "major tsunami" in the kitchen!  :-\ )  One either siphons the whey or dips it out.  There are other little differences like having a more robust press for an eight inch mold, etc. 

jmason

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:43:45 AM »
Well at least engineering gives you something to do while the cheese is ripening/resting/getting pressed... You can mentally calculate efficiencies, thermal coefficients, and a whole bunch of other cool numbers.  I like the aluminum plate it would certainly even out the heat distribution, and certainly minimize scalding.
And another idea I had while reading your post about the 1 deg/minute (which sounds ideal ) is I'll bet it would be pretty easy to rig up a stirrer from a junked microwave turntable motor.  It would have the power to stir the milk, I'd be sketchy about it working for stirring curds.

Personally I am more leaning to a double boiler type setup using water heater elements on a digital controller (the things are really cheap now from china). It could be a deep and a shallow steam table pan or 2 stock pots. Or a copper tube soldered to the bottom of a stainless kettle with water pumped from a water heater element driven and also digitally controlled, "tank"/kettle.  with either an element mounted to it or simply a stock tank immersion heater dropped into it.  Or maybe by the time I've done all that I could just try and find a good price on a used steam kettle and use a digital controller on that.

Isn't it great to have a hobby or two.

John

LoftyNotions

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
Here are a couple more recent photos. The ones from 5/9 show early Mycodore development. The 2 from 5/25 are pre and post wash.

Larry

jmason

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:04:56 PM »
Nice Larry!  Tomme is on my to do list when I have the space to age things longer.
nice make, AC4U

Sorry for hijacking your thread

John

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:43:47 AM »
Very nice tomme make.  A cheese to you!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 05:27:58 AM »
Hey Larry,  Lookin good.  I tried just a basic Tomme  last week but it was only a teeny weeny 8 litre job.  I suppose all these type are many and varied, so I see how my basic one fares and then branch out from there.

A Cheese as well from me.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

LoftyNotions

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses, guys. I've been on a bit of a summer break from cheese. Time to start ramping up again soon.

I'm still flipping this Tomme every couple days. I'll probably let it go another month or two. Here are a couple pics from today at almost 2 months, all snug in its cozy Mycodore blanket.

Larry

PBNoodles

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 03:37:38 AM »
Hey there! My husband and I have been lurking around here for months and have been making cheese. I just saw that you are in Billings too! Then I saw your name and I think I read an article about you online awhile ago? Just thought I'd say hello! Hopefully one of us will get around to posting some of our cheeses soon.

Happy cheese making!

LoftyNotions

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 04:39:38 AM »
Welcome to CheeseForum, PBNoodles. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else from this area makes cheese. :) I'm glad to have Montana company.

What varieties of cheese are you making so far? Join the fun and start posting your makes.

The cheese in this thread is a little over 3 months now, and I'll be cutting it soon. I haven't made anything recently, but I'll be getting back into cheese mode soon.

Hmm, other than wanted posters and the like, the only  online articles I can think of are from Modernist Cuisine.

Allow me to present you with your first forum cheese. :)

Larry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:12:57 AM by LoftyNotions »