Author Topic: Hello from the south west of England.  (Read 880 times)

DairyDan

Hello from the south west of England.
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:32 AM »
Hi everyone!

I live and work on my family dairy farm in Dorset, England. For a while now I've been having ideas
about producing my own cheese from some of the milk produced on farm. A few farm facts; 280 Holstein cows fed mainly on a TMR ration (a mix of grass and maize silage, a cereal blend, molasses and hay) and we roughly average 10,500L a year with 4% butterfat and 3.2% protein. And always very good cleanliness qualities.

I would like to try and build a business making and selling cheese locally and see where it goes. I've bought a small cheese making kit to get practising and experimenting making different types of cheese. With a lot to learn I hope I can ask this community for help along  the way from people who have been in similar situations and in turn I can contribute information and experience back.

Thanks

Dan.

Phil

Re: Hello from the south west of England.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
Hi Dan,
Welcome from another newbie.
I'm in a similar situation Dan and would like to start a manufacturing business in York. I'll buy in the milk and have put some thought into the business plan and the potential hiccups and hurdles.
I'd be happy to share with you any information that might help to get you started and I'm sure I could help with the financials.
Sounds like we may be able to support each other?
Cheers
Phil

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »
Welcome to you both! We will be eager to hear of your efforts and glad to help with the learning.
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Interesting that one of you is from York----I' m from York (USA) also ---named after the British version and White Rose, too.
Qdog

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
Welcome, Dan!
From Blue Vinnie country and the Smuggler's coast, eh? The land of my ancestors.
I'm sure that you'll find this forum a source of a vast amouny of knowledge. I know I have.
A welcome too to Phil.
- Andrew

DairyDan

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply, yes it could interesting and helpful to share information and experience about starting a cheesy project.
I'm still completely in the early stages of researching and practicing making cheese.
With a local market to research and a cheese room to make (out of an old out building on the farm) there's a lot to do!
I wish you luck and hope gain knowledge from each other.

Thanks.
Dan