Author Topic: Not enough holes in your swiss?. Answers found and it is not bacteria  (Read 1496 times)

IllinoisCheeseHead

Looks like modern cleaning methods is the culprit.

See article https://www.yahoo.com/food/mystery-of-disappearing-holes-in-swiss-cheese-120113009441.html

Does this mean we need to add hay to our ingredients list?.  Oh boy

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Wow, that's an eye-opener!  ...or closer. ::)

I remember a while back where some forum members were constantly disappointed that few eyes developed no matter how much PS they put into their Jarlsberg make.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Stinky

I saw that as well. As far as I can tell, it's mostly terrible reporting. They're basing it off a scientific report. As follows:

The production of Swiss-type cheeses with a typical number, size, and distribution of eyes is a difficult task, especially when bactofuged or microfiltrated milk is utilised. In this study, the potential of microparticles (plant origin) to influence eye formation in cheese, was assessed. Eight experimental Emmental cheeses were produced with one replicate from microfiltrated milk with addition of 0.0625–4.000 mg of powdered hay to the milk (90 L) and ripened for 130 days. Eye formation was quantified by means of X-ray computed tomography (between 30 and 130 days). The contents of fat, water, citric acid, lactic acid, and volatile carboxylic acids were determined at 130 days. The results demonstrate that microparticles of plant origin act as eye nuclei that control the number (P < 0.001) and size of the eyes in cheese in a dose-dependent manner. The findings also provide new insights into the formation of eye defects.

So essentially, it's not that you don't need CO2-producing bacteria. They're necessary. It's just that they need nuclei. These can be provided by mechanical holes. This is why you press under whey, so that you have fewer, larger holes. What particles do, and it doesn't have to be hay, is provide nuclei for eyes. This does not mean that more nuclei=better. It means that there's a certain ratio that would probably be ideal. If there are too many particles, you have lots of little eyes. No good. If you have too few, there won't be enough eyes. You still need the PS. It is an interesting thought.

thoughts verified by linuxboy

Kern

I saw that as well. As far as I can tell, it's mostly terrible reporting.

It's from a Yahoo news site.  What else did expect but terrible reporting?   ;)

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text

Stinky

I saw that as well. As far as I can tell, it's mostly terrible reporting.

It's from a Yahoo news site.  What else did expect but terrible reporting?   ;)

There are several articles saying the same thing floating around on different sites.

Alpkäserei

Yes, terrible reporting,

Here's my take:

Agroscope, which is a very good company with some wonderful research and information, was not really looking into the question of why Emmentaler has eyes. It there is no problem with why this is so, and there is no problem in modern production with Emmentaler's eyes vanishing.

Their interest is in... every other Swiss cheese, where eyes are a flaw. The point of their research was to look at why modern cheeses have fewer holes than their predecessors, and my guess is to see how this can be applied to make better cheese (the whole point of Agroscope is to look at farming practices and figure out how the Swiss could do better)

So they're looking at why [Swiss] Gruyere, for example, is finally the blind cheese they always wanted it to be, even though the processes in the make have changed none.

So it's terrible reporting, putting two things together that don't belong together