Author Topic: Gruyere went Baby Swiss  (Read 2311 times)

qdog1955

Gruyere went Baby Swiss
« on: May 29, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
 I opened a raw milk Gruyere made on 2-17- 15----now I opened this because it was obviously swelling in its vac bag and I was afraid I had another late blowing cheese----imagine my surprise----it looked like a Baby Swiss------smelled great -----tasted even better.
  Now I've made some Gruyere with p. shermani and some without. This was with. My understanding was it would improve the flavor, but there would be no eyes, because of no warm phase. Well as you can see in the pics, it has eyes. My cave is at 52 to 53 degrees----so I'm at a loss as to the eye development---- better then most of the cheeses I've made trying for eyes. Now I wish I had used the trier and left this age longer to see what happens. Re-bagged both halves and put them back in the cave for awhile.
  Any body else have this happen----any theories out there in cheese land?
Qdog 

jmason

Re: Gruyere went Baby Swiss
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 02:53:15 PM »
Dang Dawg, you ain't just a kiddin.
no theories, but it looks awesome.  If I had been waiting for a gruyere and ended up with an emmethaller, I'd be a tad disappointed (I really like gruyere), but I'd get over it.

Do we give cheeses for accidents?
oh hell, why not
AC4U

Kern

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:20:42 PM »
Pure hypothesis:  Raw milk may contain a small amount of PS that works at lower temperatures so long as the pH is within a certain range. 

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:19:22 PM »
Hey, who said it was an accident ----I planned that mistake perfectly >:D
 Kern wish I knew if that was the case-----I'd love to have some more accidents----oops---mistakes, just like it
Qdog

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:06:30 PM »
Pretty cheese with good (albeit rather large) hole distribution for a Gruyere.  A cheese for the "planned mistake" :).

shaneb

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 12:55:57 AM »
It looks brilliant.  :) I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Have a cheese from me.

Shane

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 06:16:46 AM »
  Any body else have this happen----any theories out there in cheese land?
Matter of fact, I did have something similar. Not an alpine, but still...unexpected eyes. The flavor of the cheese was not affected by the formation of the eyes.

Could be some other wild gas-producing strain.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »
Raw milk bought in February, in New York state, I would think the cows were fed silage of some sort. Feeding silage instead of dry hay can do all sorts of weird things to the milk, most of which are fine, but a few are nasty. You might want to ask the farmer what kind of silage he feeds in the winter, it could give you a clue as to what bacteria you're dealing with. It sure looks yummy!