Author Topic: Neufchatel #3  (Read 2909 times)

jmason

Neufchatel #3
« on: May 30, 2015, 04:31:23 AM »
Having finished the last of my first Neufchatel for breakfast this morning, and being that there isn't much of my 2nd, it being a 1 gal batch, and since I fell in love with the cheese once it was properly ripened, I started another batch this afternoon.  With the experience of the first 2 batches behind me and wanting to try new things, there will be some changes made in how I approach this one, all in all pretty subtle changes.  So here we go.

5/29/15
3 gal p/h milk
2 Tbsp buttermilk culture
4 Tbsp meso culture
1/2 tsp cal chlor in 1/4 cup filtered/aged water
smidge of pc niege
1 oz morge from a commercial brie
rennet (tbd)
salt(tbd)

Warmed milk in sink of warm water in original gal jugs to 80F. while I steam sterilized the kettle. 
Added meso and bm cultures to empty kettle, pour warmed milk over.
Added morge and cal chlor, dusted niege on top, let hydrate 2 min and gave it all a good stir.
Cover move to a quiet and peaceful location removed from the cares and stress of the world, cited a few incantations and blessings over the pot, wished it well and walked away.  Just walk away.  No lookee, no peekee, no testing pH, just walk away.  Plan to return tomorrow in about 24 hours, or when the mood and spirit so moves me to add a little rennet (amount to be determined after consulting the star charts and whatever other mumbo jumbo hocus pocus I can think off)  Forget it for an indeterminate little while longer, and returning to begin the equally long and unmonitered draining process.  Then mix in some salt (amount to be determined......).  Form or mold as the spirit moves me at the time, and begin it's ripening.  In the end I have every expectation of there being cheese in it for me.  For now I will call it neufchatel but that name is subject to change without notice.

I will however use 1/3 of this as a fresh p/h cow's milk chevre'ish cheese, maybe eaten plain, maybe have some herbs mixed in.  Something to smear on bread, savor, and bask in the afterglo of "I made this".

The fundamental change in technique this round will be adding the rennet after much of the acidification is done rather than in the begining.  The other change is a relax daring do, devil may care attitude while still practising some common sense and reasonable hygine.

Many thanks to Tiarella for inspiring me with her cheese in a jar/laxidasical cheese snowballs.  If I had ash these might just end up with a coat of it.  Oh well, next time.  This kinda becomes a weekend off from cheese making, but still having cheese in the end.

Pics coming when there is something to actually show (unless someone really wants to see milk in a pot).

John

jmason

Re: Neufchatel #3
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »
8:30 am, so about 14 1/2 hours into ripening.
Took a peek and a sniff, and jiggled the pot, yup lactic goodness goin on here.
added 15 drops calf rennet in 1/4 cup filtered/aged water and stirred for a few minutes in a bring the bottom to the top sorta manner.  Milk had ripened to the consistancy of thick buttermilk/very thin yogurt.  Returned to it's peaceful location, wished it well and walked away.  Will check on it this evening.

John

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
John, I'll be interested to hear your report this evening. In particular, I'm curious about how it will work to add the rennet after some lactic coagulation has already taken place. I've noticed when I make yogurt that if I disturb the coagulating curd along the way, or even at the end before chilling it, I get a very different, more "broken" consistency. Hopefully that will not be a problem for your make ...
-- Andy

jmason

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
It wasn't my idea really.  Saw someone speak of it to get a firmer curd set in a lactic cheese originally.  And I think it is how Tiarella does her laxidasical cheese.  I'm going to give Kathrin credit for being my inspiration or maybe corrupting influence on this make.  With yogurt I never disturb it after cultures are stirred in.  I did it really to see if it would give me that granular consistancy that I see on the neufchatel AOC video.  Not that I wasn't happy with the first batch (2nd one has yet to be decided), I was very happy.  Just trying new things and trying to get a feel for this lactic coagulated thing.

John

jmason

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
Andy,
In hindsight adding the rennet as late as I did was a mistake, but I think for a different reason than what you are suggesting.  In Katherine's cheese she is adding no extra cultures, just what naturally was in the milk warm from the goat.  Obviously since I am using p/h milk that wasn't an option for me (although we do have a jersey/holstein farm 15 minutes away that is licensed to sell raw milk, so maybe after I am comfortable with the process a bit more I can try using that).  The bacteria I added to the milk was probably thousands of times more than what naturally occours and so acidification was much much more rapid.  So I should have renneted 2-3 hours in rather than after an overnight ferment.  By the time I added the rennet the pH would have been so low that the rennet couldn't really do much, or at least that is my understanding after doing some searching on the forum for an answer, and I really don't understand the pH parameters under which rennet works (perhaps one of the cheese guru's can shed some light and enlighten me).  And yes, since the rennet wasn't going to do much, if a fully lactic coagulation was what I wanted to achieve, I would have been better off with a no touchy approach.  But alas, live and learn.  It will still become cheese, (it smells absolutely wonderful) it is just  more stubborn about draining, in fact I sewed together a draining bag for this since colanders don't seem to drain this type of cheese very well and I don't have one big enough for 3 gallons.  I added 15 drops of rennet, not that it matters in this case.  So again I have learned something and thanks to this forum I didn't chuck a cheese that is fully salvageable (I think).

John

BTW. I ate one of my little neufs last night on some of my son's first bread and it was magnificent.  But sadly now there are only 3 left :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:46:40 PM by jmason »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
The nice thing is, even the "mistakes" can turn into wonderful cheese!
-- Andy

jmason

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Yes, or in the least edible cheese.  My first cheese attempt was a mozzerella.  It was a complete flop, didn't know I had to wait until the pH had dropped, or even how to test when the curds were ready for stretching.  It ended up, together with the ricotta I made from that batch, in a few pans of lasagna.  Failure as a mozz, but the lasagna was great, like unbelievably great. 

As I reread my previous post about the "licensed" raw milk farm near me it struck me how messed up we have become.  2 Houses away from where I grew up was a dairy farm, another right next to that one.  We had a gallon milk can and I used to go over, fill my jug with the long ladle left in the milk house for that purpose, rinse the floor if I spilled any, and left my 75 cent on the window sill.  There was no talk of license, no debate over milk safety.  We trusted the milk because we knew the farmer, could walk into the barn and talk to him while he did his chores, see for ourselves that he ran a clean dairy farm, saw him in church on Sunday.  I helped him milk sometimes, very often rode on the fender of his tractor (up until his hired hand, a boy from town I knew, rolled a tractor over on himself and was killed.  I was never allowed to ride on the fender again but could ride IN the hay wagon. It was a tragedy and Jesse was very quiet, even more so than normal, for the next year), and hunted on his land and the land of the farmers next door to him.  He wouldn't sell bad milk to anyone let alone his neighbors.  This farm had been his dream and I have never met a better or more gentle dairy farmer in my life, although I have met worse, mean and downright cruel farmers.  Jesse was as gentle with his cows as he was with his children.  It was a great place to grow up and a great neighbor to have.  Now the government feels it needs to protect us from milk, and at the same time many states have laws that make it liable or criminal to speak out against unsanitary food producers.  Do we want to eat food that we aren't allowed to see produced?  A producer should be so proud of his product that he wants you to see how it's made.  That's how it was when I grew up and I think what we should demand from our food supply.  And that concludes todays sermon.

John

jmason

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »
So last night after what seemed like an interminable time draining, and it was still quite moist I dumped it from the cheesecloth into a bowl, salted it with 2 Tbsp salt, and put into molds.  Geo has started to grow on top of the whey and the outside of the cheesecloth so I think it will explode on the exposed surface and then all surfaces once I unmold it.  Not sure when that will be.  There was quite a lot of it and I ended up with 3 - 4 1/4 inch rounds (pretty think), 3 1/2 valencay type molds.  No weight taken yet as I expect significant drying and post salting loss of weight.  Didn't set any aside as planned to eat as a fresh chevre'ish cheese but I can always sacrifice 1 or 2 young to that end.  Not sure how this one will end up but I am moving forward with it.  I did eat what was left in the bowl after molding and it was quite good wiped out with some crusty bread.

John

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 12:20:51 AM »
John, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your dialogues...and the sermon.  8)

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

jmason

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 06:08:42 AM »
Thanks Boofer,  I sometimes just get carried away with myself.  25 years ago, as I watched many of the small farms around me shut down, I often said "if corporations get control of our food supply they will be telling us what we will eat and how much we will pay for it".  Pretty much what has happened.  It is nice to see a resurgence of small farmers.  And if you think I can rant check out Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms (many videos online and several books).  A good farmer, and a smart man, and exactly the kind of person you want raising the food you eat.  Watching him is pretty entertaining.  There is another that I like, Mary Rose Livingston of Northland Sheep Dairy.  She was one of the farms that was showcased in the Cornell University small farms series of videos, all of which are good.  And She is a cheese maker and is only about an hour from me. 

John

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 01:58:47 PM »
An interesting article about a family dairy farm a couple of hours from me: http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article22616778.html
-- Andy

jmason

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
Well today was a surprise.  I had pretty much written this cheese off as a loss/failure but hadn't thrown it away.  I was trying to forget about it, trying to forget that I started this thread, hoping everyone else would also forget, but something kept reminding me.  Oh yeah it was the smell.  The ever increasingly pungent smell of geo.  I peeked in on it several times and could see nothing growing on it except geo.  Well last night I went out for a beer and ran into a guy I know, who apparently is living in the same building, on the same floor, and across the hall and a few doors down from me.  He commented on how the girl's apartment across from him was beginning to smell pretty bad.  Nonchalantly I asked, "oh really, what's it smell like?"  A bit of a hidden snicker on my part but the message was clear, it was time to toss the lactic, geotrichum infested mess I had created.  Now mind you it was at room temperature for a Looooooong time, 2 weeks I realize as I look at the date of my original post, just ripening there in my room temp cheese box, well it was certainly ripe.  Now this had never drained enough by the time I salted the curds (if you can call them curds, more like thin cream cheese/thick sour cream) and put it into molds.  They did drain a bit more in the molds, but slumped some within a day of unmolding them.  Well now as I examined them, some had split, some were intact and covered by the thickest geo coat I have ever seen.  I flipped one off it's mat and examined it, smelled it, tasted it a bit.  Wow, funk, smelly funk, but kind of a good funk in a smelly cheese sorta way, and it tasted good, not mature, still quite lactic, but good.  Now has anyone stopped to ponder how weird it must seem to the rest of the world when we look at a moldy hunk of curdled milk and say or think "wow, that looks really good!", or smell the same mold infested gob of curdled milk wreaking with a scent most folks would find somewhat reminiscent of  "eau de diaper pail", and yet we inhale deeply the sensuous waft and exclaim, "Yum!".  So it was that sort of moment that faced me now, and I instantly realized, "this cheese can be saved".  So I rounded up some appropriate minicaves and some storage containers for the ones that had split and set about to rescue the cheese, well actually before I did I took a few oz of it, placed it on a plate, sliced some bread, smeared it on, and enjoyed it fully.  Good but it has a ways to go yet, still need the candidum to take over.  So as I write this I have this in the fridge.  some to just finish maturing, and others to be remolded and then set to finish maturing.  I was amazed, I had completely given up on this one but in the end it showed me that it knew how to become cheese.  And so I resurrect this thread that just a few hours ago I was hoping would "slip quietly into that long night".  These lactic coagulated cheeses are pretty weird creatures, and I am beginning to appreciate them.

John

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »
Hmm ... does this mean there is hope for some of those tupperware dishes that have been evolving in the back of the fridge for the last few months? :)

Actually, J/K -- my wife will not let anything stay in the fridge more than a week. I keep trying to tell her that a little mold is no big deal, but ... :)
-- Andy

jmason

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 02:51:40 AM »
Behind every great man there is a woman kicking his butt the whole way.