Author Topic: Cheese 'Cave' in Switzerland  (Read 1995 times)

Alpkäserei

Cheese 'Cave' in Switzerland
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »
Here are some photos of a cheese aging shack in the Swiss Alps I thought you all might enjoy.

Some general information:
The structure is pretty small and does not have space for a whole lot of cheese.
It is made out of larch with an insulated floor and ceiling

The target temperature is somewhere around 12 degrees C with a humidity between 80 and 90 %
The system with the metal shelves and wood boards is a very convenient system for the cheeses during the period when they need washed frequently.

The cheeses standing up are last year's production, after they are old enough (sa 8 months or so) and don't needs washing any more, this is a very effective way of storing the cheese.

Note that it's very important the air can move

Also note, the air in this building is very strong, and it's somewhat difficult to breath on account of all the cheese and the fact it is sealed.

The cheese we see is Berner Alpkäse along with one Mutschli and a fresh goat cheese.

Interesting to note, this farmer is experimenting with a goat cheese that impressed me a great deal, made much like raclette by removing whey and replacing it with hot water. It makes a very mild and pleasant cheese that doesn't taste like -goat

jmason

Re: Cheese 'Cave' in Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
Very nice, Thanks for sharing that with us!

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »
Ah, that looks lovely.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:43:12 AM »
That really is beautiful. I can almost imagine the smell!
Susan

Alpkäserei

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
No, no you can't

The unfortunate reality is, while 1 or 2 wheels aging can be a pleasant thing, a room full of them is actually quite unpleasant.

I assume this is why the cheese is often kept in a totally separate building!

shaneb

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:12:57 AM »
It looks brilliant. I'm assuming from the printing above the door that it's only a year old?? How do they maintain the temperature, or is it just really good insulation and low alpine ambient temperature even in summer?

Shane
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:23:46 AM by Shane »