Author Topic: My 2nd mozzarella attempt, hopefully 1st success  (Read 1861 times)

jmason

My 2nd mozzarella attempt, hopefully 1st success
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:35:55 PM »
OK, so my first mozzarella was a flop.  For reference I attempted a traditionally cultured mozzarella, didn't understand at the time the importance of acidity for the stretching process.  Hey, I was new, it was my first attempt at cheese making, and yes it probably wasn't a great choice for a first cheese to make (oh sure now you tell me) but what did I know.  That was almost a year and a half ago and since then I have learned a lot (hopefully enough) and have had good results, sometimes spectacular results with several other cheeses.  But the stigma of that first failure has haunted me and I have subconsciously avoided a repeat misperformance.  That first attempt wasn't a waste by the way, I did salvage the curds and salted them and together with a ricotta made from that first batch it made a simply luscious lasagna.  So with this history when my son mentioned that we hadn't made pizza in a while, I found myself saying, "how about Friday, I'll make mozzarella".  We make all our own bread, I make cheese, tomatoes are in season, sort of, it made perfect sense at the time, but now I was all in.  So here I am this morning with milk in a pot, rennet setting, wondering just what I have gotten myself in for.  But hey, you fall off that bike and it's always best to get back on.  Now mind you I am further complicating this by the fact that I am only verrrrrry loosly following any recipe, and approaching this make with a great deal of bravado and daring doo (whats the worst that could happen, I mean apart from the emotional scarring, the deep lingering depression, and the sense of failure)  So away we go. 

6/4/15
1 1/4 gal p/h milk
1/2 cup yogurt and 2 cups whey from the previous evenings yogurt batch (I want this sucka to acidify) from a re cultured several times batch originally started from a Fage Greek yogurt.
2 heaping Tbsp. meso culture
1 heaping Tbsp. buttermilk culture
1/4 tsp cal chlor
1/4 tsp calf rennet

Heated milk to 95 F, added cultures and stirred in ripened 15 minutes, yes 15 minutes, the whey lowered the acidity immediately.
Added cal chlor in 1/4 cup filtered and aged water, stirred in and added 1/4 tsp calf rennet in 1/4 cup aged filtered water.
Missed the flocculation point but it was less than 19 minutes, so will check for a clean break at 45 minutes.  Checked at 30 minutes just in case and not quite there yet.
At 45 min. had clean break and cut curds to 1/2 inch, let rest 30 min.
Raise temp to 105 F over 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
At 105 F stir gently for 10 minutes and let rest for 15 min.
Drain curds for 15 min. until fully drained, no whey dripping
Return curds to water bathed pot and maintain water bath at 105 for 2 hours

Well another failure (shame, darkness, depression, self loathing).  What is it with this cheese?  I have generally no problem with other cheese types and yet this one keeps getting me.  I haven't given up.  I do after all need to get this pasta filata thing down if I am to make the others like provalone, caciocavalla.  But I can only take so much failure in a given time period.  I have one more save that I may try, taking the curds and doing the quick mozzarella finish with them ala microwave.  If a small sampling of that doesn't work then these curds are bound for cheesecake (ah darn), a lemon coconut cheesecake sounds nice.

BTW. I salvaged the pizza day by doing a batch of quick mozzarella this morning in the wee hours, at least that worked out for me.

To be abandoned (for now at least)

John
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:11:05 AM by jmason »

jmason

Re: My 2nd mozzarella attempt, hopefully 1st success
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »
The pizza was a success, but who said that quick mozz melts (Gavin Webber I think).  And as for the failed traditional (or not so traditional) mozzarella, well see the foto below, no not that one the 2nd one.

John

ps, my son says that the mozzarella failure was a success as a cheesecake.  Judging by the fact that 3/4 of it is gone he might be right.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
I think it looks mighty tasty John
AC4U ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »
Looks great to me!! AC4U!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »
Always nice when you can dispose of the evidence of failure ... especially in the form of cheesecake! Do you just use the curds (ricotta?) in a 1-1 replacement for cream cheese, or ??
-- Andy

jmason

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:09:28 PM »
It is really a ricotta style cheesecake I make and I use a mix of curds and ricotta (from the many cheese making endevours I seem to be engaged in.  And yes I would say a direct replacement although I have done this so often I don't measure anything exactly, all by eye and taste.

John