Author Topic: Oh the Glory that is White Bloomy Gooeines  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Oh the Glory that is White Bloomy Gooeines
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 02:36:47 AM »
With 8 liters and six cheeses, how much does each one weigh? What are the dimensions?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

shaneb

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 04:55:08 AM »
Looking good as always Mal. Have another cheese from me.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 08:59:57 AM »
@boofer  The cheeses are the sort of standard size. 100mm (4inch) to 30 mm (1 1/2 inches) and weigh between 280 and 300 gms.  They shouldn't loose too much weight from now on.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 11:17:53 PM »
The cheeses  have now been put to bed in the cold fridge @4DegC.  I'll post a few more shots as the ripening progresses.

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 03:13:46 AM »
The "JustCutCurd" and "After15Minutes" pics do a good job of illustrating the curd-hardening that occurs over time and why it's important to rest the curds after cutting.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 03:43:46 AM »
Thanks Boofer - yes that is the bit I feel most books don't explain well and really only doing it and pictures can show you. 

This set of Cams ripened a little fast and I can put it down to two things.
1. I didn't move them quick enough into the 4 Deg C fridge - and when measured it was actually 6 Deg C.  and
2. I reviewed the pictures of the milk and I used although 4.4 % fat I only use 300ml of cream - I Definitely need 600mls of added cream per 8 litres (2 Gals) of milk.

This added cream creates a "Stabilised" curd and the Ammonia creation (the process whereby the pH is changed) takes longer and occurs at a much slower rate.  Although I like strong cheese these are right on the upper limit. 

I gave one of these to a cheese importer - to mainly get some independent feedback and he and his partner said they haven't had a gooey strong Camembert since leaving France - so must be doing something right.

Now I have to see if I can get at least consistent results with a soft washed Rind.   Could be fun !!

-- Mal   

shaneb

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 09:05:44 AM »
Mal - I made a couple of brie sized malemberts based by your recipe. It's taken a week longer than suggested for getting a good covering of white fuzz. I've noticed that it has an odd odour that I haven't smelt before when making brie. It's not mushroomy or ammonia. The difference is that I finally have GC in the make. The GC has done a great of covering the cheeses. Does GC have a smell? I'll try and post some photos tomorrow before I move them to the cold fridge.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 04:17:25 AM »
Here are the promised photos. I do wonder if I've got some linens growing. Initially the cheese was quite wet for a few days. I dried them in the cave as I was concerned of drying them too long at ambient. The smell could be described as rotting crab I guess. I've moved them too the cold fridge now.

Thanks for anyone's advice.

Shane

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 12:43:03 AM »
It looks like you have really good Geotrichum growth. You are getting that wonderful wrinkly rind that I personally love  ;D. That could also explain the "aroma". I notice a very distinct "fermenting (rotting) cabbage" odor when I make crottin style cheese and use only the Geo. for the white fungal rind growth. May not smell so good, but taste turns out great.

Susan

shaneb

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 01:43:56 AM »
Thanks Susan. That is comforting to know. Yes, the geo has a very nice woven basket rind. It's certainly on the nose.  :o I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Shane

Stinky

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »
Don't worry yet.

shaneb

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 03:51:22 AM »
I'll try not to. Your signature makes me feel otherwise though..... ::)

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »
Hi Shane,
It may not be a Malembert but it certainly looks like a cheese I'd eat. G.C can have yeast like properties depending on the strain.  But the wrinkly 'Brain' looking rind looks like it doing it's thing. 

Keep aging it at the low temperature and see what happens.  My Cheese tutor makes Cam's and only uses GC - yes it tastes different but she (and those she makes them for) swears by it.  My last lot had more GC and ripened slightly differently though the plate still was scraped clean at the end.

-- Mal

shaneb

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »
Thanks Mal. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh I did have one question for you. On your make sheet you have cultures being added twice (27 & 32C). I'm not sure if it had been pointed out or not. I added them at 32C as I'm always concerned about overshoot.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
Oh yeah I hadn't corrected that.  What it is supposed to is @27 Deg C pre-hydrate the culture in some milk (I use a 1/4 cup) and then add that to the main body of milk @ 32 DegC.
-- Mal