Author Topic: Making a cheese  (Read 2876 times)

jmason

Making a cheese
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »
So I was originally planning on a camembert make this weekend and then after the fiasco with the failed mozzarella (I shall return) I had given up on a 3rd cheese this weekend.  But what the hell, I'm feel'n a bit randy, ready to try something new, to step out as it were.  So inspired by prawns caciotta make, and after touring around "The World Book of Cheese" this morning while having coffee, I have decided on a cheese that incorporates a few ideas from very short aged cheeses.  Not sure if what I'm making really fits this category as semi-hard/semi-soft probably is a more apt description.  So if there is a better place for this to appear, feel free to move this.  I doubt I will smear this, but there is a tannish linens lurking about, so if it takes up residence on this, welcome, if not then it may get oiled after the rind forms.  This will be a cheese that will define itself as it wants to be and hopefully in the end I will come to love it as I do all my children.  So with that;

6/7/15

2 gallons whole p/h milk
2 Tbsp each meso and thermo culture
1/8 tsp mild lipase
1/2 tsp cal chlor
1/2 tsp rennet
26% brine
maybe a salt rub

Raise temp to 90 F, added cultures once milk was at 80 F, bath a bit warmer so looking for a stabilized temp of 95 to 98 F.  Initial milk pH 6.6 after starters added.  Dissolve lipase in 1/4 cup filtered/aged water, let sit 10 min. before adding and mix in. 
at 45 min the pH had dropped to 6.5 and I added cal chlor, let sit 5 min and added rennet. temp at 96 F
Floc at 14 min. 4x multiplier, so cut curd at 56 min
Cut curds to aprox 5/8", pH at cutting 6.3
Rest 10 minutes and stir, start to raise temp to 103-105 F, over the next 30 minutes
Rest 15 minutes and then stir 2 minutes
Rest 15 minutes and drain whey to just above the curds, stir briefly to prevent matting and
Transfer to molds to drain, after initial draining on drainboard and topping up transfer back to covered pot in water bath and maintain temp at 100-110 F in water bath.  pH at molding 6.2, pH of whey right after molding and some drainage 6.1 (she's a fall'n fast now Jimmy)
First turn in the mold at aprox 20 minutes, knitting nicely, did a bit of hand pressing after the flip to start to get the shape and expel a bit more whey.  Started to heat the whey for ricotta.
2nd turn and hand press 30 minutes after the first, starting to shrink down nicely now and a good amount of whey released.
3rd turn 30 minutes after the 2nd, still maintaining the stafatura temp.  The smell is so darn milky, yum.
4th and 5th turns each after an hours drainage
Really starting to hold it's shape now and milky smell is getting to be more of a lactic tangy smell.
6th turn 4 hours after last turn and only the residual heat carried over, no further attempt at maintaining temperature.
It's final time in the molds was 8 hours.
Weighed after removing from molds
1. 473 grams
2. 470 grams
for a total of 943 grams, 2.08 lbs.
opted for dry salting this cheese, originally calculated out 25 grams salt for a 2.5% salting, but on applying the salt this seemed excessive.  And only aprox 18 grams were applied.  If the rind warrants additional application will be made.  The cheese is being dried at cave temperature, 55 F.

John
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:37:02 PM by jmason »

jmason

Re: Making a cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
Anybody got any thoughts about how long to brine these in a 26% brine?  They are kinda small guys, 3 1/2 inches in diam. x I'm guessing 2 3/4-3 inches tall.  I'm thinking about 2 hours followed by a light salt rub should be sufficient.  Don't want them too salty, these will be a pretty short aged cheese, 3-4 weeks for one (subject to change without notice), and maybe 2 months for the other guy depending on what the first one does.

Thanks
John

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 12:13:27 AM »
I do love a good experiment. It will be interesting to hear how it turns out.
Caldwell gives approximate times for brining cheeses with 2-3 hrs/ lb for semi-soft and 3-4 hrs/lb for semi-hard. Since yours haven't been pressed I would think they were closer to semi-soft and I would guess about 1 lb each, so 2-3 hrs should be about right.
- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »
John, are you using mother cultures, or freeze dried? I'm just wondering about "2 tablespoons each" -- if the former, I'm used to hearing "two ice cubes"; if the latter, that would be an extreme amount!
-- Andy

jmason

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »
As I wrote in the make details I opted for dry salting. 

Andy-
I am using mother cultures.  Since I am making cheese so often now my mother culture is kept refrigerated.  I reculture it once every 7 to 10 days, reculturing once from the jar in the fridge and then I go back to an ice cube from the freezer to culture out a new batch.  Not sure I recommend it as a method but it's working for me, at least until I order DVI cultures.  Of course the yogurt culture is continueosly recultured with each succesive batch until it shows some defect at which point I return to a store bought, generally 5 strain yogurt of a brand I like.  Of course this is limiting for me and when I order cultures I will be getting meso, thermo, and ripening cultures as I want streptococcus, and helviticus available for future makes.

John

jmason

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »
a pic of the freshly salted cheeses.
8 or so hours after salting the cheese is drying well, I think it will develop a nice rind.

This was a very easy and stress free make.  I am quite happy with the result so far and think these will be nice little cheeses.  And they are just so darn cute.

John
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:41:07 PM by jmason »

jmason

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
Update-
The 2 little cheeses are rinding up nice.  I did give them another salt massage, pretty lightly though.  They are actually pretty firm little guys considering that they had no weight on them at all during drainage.  No point in posting a pic at this time as they pretty much look like dry version of the last pic.

John

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »
hey John, I'm glad I found your thread since I've got three of these babies about to start aging although I'm realizing maybe I didn't bring them long enough. I thought my three hour brine time for my 1.5 lb cheeses was based on Caldwells book but O better check again.

Where do you buy your cultures?  may I recommend www.artisangeek.com ?  Bit I have to warn you it may drive you crazy reading the descriptions and wanting them all. Check out the rennet varieties too but expect insanity to develop there as well. I can't believe I just ordered 3 different rennets.  :P. And some cultures of course.

How are your little Caciotta cuties doing now? 

And you are in NY state, right?  makes me think again about a little regional cheese forum gathering with everyone bringing cheese to try. I'm in Chester, MA which if I remember correctly is about 1.5-2 hours almost directly east of Albany I think.....just to give you an idea of where we are.

jmason

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:53:15 PM »
Hi Katherin,
Yes, I have heard of and plan to order from Yoav's website in the hopefully near future.  The cultures I am using now are a mesophillic (Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, Lactococcus lactis subsp.lactis biovar. diacetylactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris) I had originally gotten from cheeseandyogurt.com, and for a thermophilic I am using a 5 strain yogurt culture, either Fage which I am currently using, or stoneyfield farms.  I did have a buttermilk culture going and used it in several cheeses in combination with one or both of the above, never used it alone.  But alas this is limiting and I will be replacing these with dvi cultures soon, I hope. 

My caciottas are doing quite well as far as I can see.  I really made them because I wanted something a little different at the end of a 3 cheese week.  It was an easy make and everything went like clockwork with them.  I ended up doing a salt rub, I just felt more comfortable with it based on dry salting my camemberts, although I do brine my feta.  I liked your spore printing on yours, novel idea and should be quite beautiful.  My adviser in college was a mycologist and it was my main focus during my stint there.  I will be starting some shitake myself in anticipation of when the weather cools off again, since I will be fruiting at apartment temps, maybe some oysters as well although I am not a huge fan of their taste/texture. 

I am in Oneonta, NY, a city halfway between Albany and Binghamton, so Albany is an hours drive from me.  Have you checked out my thread in lactic coag P Candidum on my nuefchatel?  Funny story you might enjoy.  Not sure about my next cheese yet.  I've been catching up on a few other projects but I'm sure the bug will bite me again soon.

John

jmason

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »
The cheese shared the cave with the blues and the caerphilly.  The caciotta picked up a bit of blue strangely the caerphilly didn't, at least not yet.  I gave the cheeses a wipe down with vinegar salt water and the blue was superficial, I gave some thought to letting the blue run it's course and then decided not this time.  The blue cleaned up pretty nicely.  So being that these cheeses are normally eaten quite young I decided to cut into the one that had been hit the worst.  It is quite a pleasant cheese for being so young, very easy to eat and much drier and harder than I would have expected for a cheese that wasn't pressed at all.  Texture a bit crumbly and I can see how this cheese aged would develop some pecorino type notes.  It could have stood a bit more salt but all in all I would say a decent cheese, and disappearing fast.  Next time I'll have to make them a bit bigger.  I'll post a pic if I don't eat it all first.  The other is in the cave and after a bit of drying to reestablish the rind I will oil it like the caerphilly and try to give it a few more weeks and see if there is a difference.

John

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »
Oh my gosh I am so far behind on everything so please don't take my lack of response to mean I'm not interested in cheese talk.  I am.  Just dealing with farm work, my business, my fatigue, and the need to at least occasionally do laundry.   ::)  I am going to start checking the forum more often.....   

jmason

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:44:49 AM »
no worries Kathrin, happens to all of us.  I have been catching up on some things myself and the cheese talk and cheese making have taken a back seat the last weeks.  I have no pictures of the cut cheese cause I ate it all.  It was pretty darn good I guess since I found myself returning for more time and again.  Even grated some on pasta since I was detecting those pecorino'ish notes.  This is one I am definately gonna make again and in a larger size to dry and age longer to explore those sharp grating cheese notes, probably will add a bit of lipase to it as well for the same reasons.  Might even get me fired up to make a real pecorino.  And I'll make these little guys again also it was such an easy and carefree make and it's a perfect little fast aging cheese to have around.

John