Author Topic: My first make of Belper Knolle  (Read 3148 times)

hoeklijn

My first make of Belper Knolle
« on: June 11, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »
Following the recipe below I made this weekend my first batch of Belper Knolle too:

10 liter fresh raw milk (still on 32C when I started)
1/4 ts MM101
1/8 ts rennet in 4 Tbs water
3 ts pink Himalaya salt
5 ts mashed garlic
5 Tbs black pepper corns, roasted in a hot pan until they crack open.

Procedure as described in the thread of scasnerkay.
For me the amount of pepper was not enough, so I used (from left to right) cummin, Cayenne pepper and ginger powder.
It's indeed fun to make these cheeses because it's so different from my regular cheeses  8) 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: My first make of Belper Knolle
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:41:14 AM »
VERY nice!  I was just reading about this today and wondering if I could create the dry conditions it needs.  AC4U and I hope to follow along.  I'm doing something new today with cheese and will post shortly.  Do keep this thread updated........   I forget how long it has to age...hope I can stand the suspense!    ;D

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 05:47:49 AM »
Thanks for the cheese Kathrin! To be honest, I don't worry too much about the humidity. Upper and lower temperature of the thermostate of my cave are quite close to each other and that seems to create a dryer environment. Learned that from a cooling tech guy....
I've put them in the cave on Tuesday evening and I'm turning them twice a day. They seems to dry well and are smelling delicious.
I think I'll try the first one after four or five weeks, but I'm certainly planning to let some age for a couple of months. That's the funny thing of creating one batch with small cheeses, you can compare them on different stages...

klondikeone

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:34:30 PM »
I have made this and in a week I had mold growing on it, had to throw it to the pigs. ANY suggestions on how to dry this cheese.

klondikeone

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »
I have made all different types of cheese. Swiss, cheddar, etc. I make belper knoll and in a week it molded. Any ideas on how to dry this particular  cheese

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 04:02:09 PM »
Sorry for the late reply....
I had quite some problems with mold also.
Seems to come from the pepper but I have no idea how to sterialize this without losing a lot of taste.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
I had very little problem with mold, but I think the coating of toasted cracked pepper was pretty thick - no cheese showing. Same with the paprika.
Also, the space where I was aging them was pretty low humidity - around 65% at most.
I enjoyed them younger rather than older! Seemed to get a bit chalky in mouth feel as they aged.
Susan