Author Topic: My 1st hot-water washed curd  (Read 3879 times)

Stinky

Re: My 1st hot-water washed curd
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 04:16:05 PM »
Could it be that there was enough air left in the bag to make that color where the cheese was not touching the bag?

WisconsinDan

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
I suppose that is a possibility Stinky but I really have no way of knowing that one anymore. This cheese just keeps misbehaving. It has now developed a deep crack across the top of 1 side which after several more weeks will simply not dry out, though the rest of the wheel has, with another similar crack threatening to form.  Raised the humidity up to 90%RH and am hoping this thwarts any further cracking.  Having never seen late-blowing before I am wondering if that is also a possibility when using P&H milk?  I somehow thought I remembered reading that particular issue was more a problem with poorly handled raw milk? Although I know it will be hard to tell from the picture, especially since I have not cut the cheese yet, is it possible that this is what is going on? If it is I really want to evict it from its valuable real estate in the cave. Maybe I should cut into it younger than the recipe recommends just to take a look? Any thoughts?

Stinky

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
Rub some lard or butter into that crack.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
Other than the crack the cheese looks fine , if it gets late blowing you "will"  know it , as it bulges quite a bit .

WisconsinDan

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 04:17:18 AM »
Just cut into this cheese yesterday. It was certainly not like most Gouda. It was not as hard as an extra-aged pitted Gouda, but it was still harder than what I believe most people think of as Gouda, crumblier too.  About a month ago I used the trier and it was very mild and bland.  I am amazed at the difference a month can make.  Now it has become sharp and flavorful.  It is smooth on the tongue until it crumbles in between the teeth.  The salt was spot on and the cheese has a savory, umami finish.  Of all of the cheese I have made this has been my favorite so far.  Some mold found its way into the cracks and went maybe an 1/8" into the paste, but no further so it wasn't really a big deal. Judging by the smell and the stickiness of parts of the rind I think some Brevy found a home there as well.  Gave some to my mom and she says she could just sit and eat it all day.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »
Well done! Have a cheese for this and for the Caerphilly you reported on. I would suspect your acid level dropped too low -- that is a cause of crumbliness.
-- Andy