Author Topic: Tracking Cheese Makes  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Tracking Cheese Makes
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
I have attempted to keep some kind of record of the different cheeses I tried to make. This was started in the form of a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet way back when. It gives me a rough upfront view of what I have tried and failed at or actually succeeded at.

The sheet isn't perfect but it does consolidate some of the highlights for each make. Data entry for the sheet is made easier by some note-taking at make time. My note-taking is not always spot on either.

I hadn't seen anyone else post a tracker such as this, but thought it might be inspirational for someone else.

Edited for an updated sheet: May 29, 2015

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:04:33 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BobE102330

Re: Tracking Cheese Makes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:33:58 PM »
Cool, thanks.  I'll add that to my make notes spreadsheet.  I like the all in one place information.  I haven't been as productive as you.   :'(

shotski

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:44:32 PM »
Thanks Boofer, I don't have much updating to do but will be a handy tool.

John

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
Thats a pretty good idea. Thanks Boofer!

I downloaded the file and will adapt it to my use. I am thinking I will add a column for cultures used as well as one for recipe source.

Right now I am hand writing the process in a journal and making word documents for the recipes I use. As I adjust the recipe for whatever reason I can just detail the adjustment (if I decide an adjustment made is worth keeping) in the document.  Nothing that takes a "macro" look at the makes such as what you put together.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
It has been two years since I posted my spreadsheet. Today I've updated it.

I have been a little lax in details but I'm trying to do better. There are some failures in this history and I try to implement the lessons learned from those blips. As you can see from the blanks, if I don't capture my opinions of a cheese or write details such as the "cut date" in the life of the cheese, these details may be lost forever.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:29 PM »
Only 95 cheeses-----you should be ashamed  ;)  hell, I'll be 95 years old before I get that many----great Idea.
Qdog

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 06:02:40 AM »
Only 95 cheeses-----you should be ashamed  ;)  hell, I'll be 95 years old before I get that many----great Idea.
Qdog
Well if I can stay focused, I'd like to find the time, energy, and money to add five more to the six cheeses I've already done this year. That would clear the century mark in my cheese making efforts. I'm itching to do an injected Fourme d'Ambert, another Saint Paulin (yum!), a Beaufort, another Trappist, and maybe give Chaource another chance. Some of those are easier than others to put together.

As has been said before: so many cheeses...so little time. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!