Author Topic: Automatic stirrer - bad back  (Read 1039 times)

IllinoisCheeseHead

Automatic stirrer - bad back
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »
I have built a press, curd cutter, turned an upright freezer into a cheese cave with controls for Humidity and Temp.  And an electronic temperature controller with rapid heating and cooling capabilities for making cheese.  But I am drawing a blank on hot to build or purchase an curd stirrer.

I love making cheese but because of my injured back, I ended up paying the price with several days of intense back pain when I stand so long.  It does not stop me from making cheese but it would be great to be able to get help assisting with the stirring.  Is there anything anyone has built to assist with stirring?.  If I build that I think I am golden :)

Thanks

jmason

Re: Automatic stirrer - bad back
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »
I haven't built one but have seen a few.  A microwave turntable motor from a scrapped microwave (I have collected several of these from junked microwaves, often you don't even need to open the case to get them), or a rottisserie motor can be used to power the things.  Check the voltage on the microwave motors as I fried one when I failed to look and it happened to be 48 v, most are 120 v though.  many swiss, grana and pecorino makers seem to stir with the curd cutter since they are looking for rice size curds.  Or a paddle can be rigged, just remember it should probably have a lifting action to turn the curds over as it stirs.  and initial stirring may still need to be done by hand to be gentle enough to not shatter the new wet curds.  Show pics if you come up with something please.  I haven't given this serious consideration since most all of the cheeses I am interested in are not stirred much or long.

Good luck,
John

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »
I'm looking at having a stainless steel paddle  welded up to fit in an ice cream machine motor. It goes pretty slow and has decent torque. Here's another thread that might give you  some ideas: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,747.msg4473.html#msg4473

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »
I spent months working on stirring devices----because of health issues-----came up with devices and paddles that work well----check this link---
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13821.msg104693.html#msg104693 ---but I have to say that Unless I have a recipe that is calling for 3 or 4 hours of stirring or very small curd size, I prefer hand stirring.
Qdog