Author Topic: A match made in heaven or Frankenstein's Monster??  (Read 2846 times)

shaneb

A match made in heaven or Frankenstein's Monster??
« on: June 17, 2015, 11:00:11 PM »
On the weekend I came across some cheap milk (short shelf date) at the supermarket. With the new bain marie sitting there awaiting some use I decided to bite. I decided to do a little experimentation. It was probably a crazy idea and some are probably grossed out, but I thought I'd like to try the classic Australian combination of Vegemite and Cheddar cheese. Below is a rough recipe of what I did for my Vegemite infused Cheddar. It was loosely based on the NEC Cheddar recipe.

Ingredients:

12L Farmer's Own Unhomogenised Full Cream Milk
300ml Gippsland Dairy Pure Double Cream
3/16 tsp Choozit MA16
1/8 tsp Choozit TA61
Annatto
5ml 30% Calcium Chloride
2.4ml Chymax Plus 200IMCU/ml Vegetable Rennet

Vegemite Soup

150g Vegemite
4L Water

I started by heating the milk to 30°C over 2 hours in a GN 1/1 x 150mm pan.
While this was happening I made the Vegemite soup. I mixed the Vegemite in a saucepan with 4L of water and brought to the boil for 15 minutes. It was then left to cool.
Once at 30°C the cultures were added, let to settle and then mixed through.
Wait for 45 minutes to ripen at temperature.
Annatto and Calcium Chloride were diluted in water and added to the milk. Stir to mix through.
Added Rennet
Floc multiplier 3.5. Floc time was 17 minutes and curds were cut at 60 minutes.
Curds cut in 1cm cubes and let to rest for 5 minutes.
Curds were heated to 39°C over 30 minutes (this was the target, but in reality it was closer to an hour) while stirring occasionally.
At temperature the curds were held at 39°C while stirring.
Afterwards it was held at temperature, but the curds were left to settle on the bottom.
The curds were removed to cheesecloth in a sieve to form a solid mass over 30 minutes.
During that time I removed original pan and replaced it with two GN 1/2 x 150mm deep pans. I put the vegemite soup in one pan, and the cheddaring would happen in the other.
The slab of curds were cut into four pieces and stacked in two piles in the pan (still sitting at 39°C).
The curds were flipped every 15 minutes over 2 hours.
I then cut the curds into 12mm cubes and placed them in the vegemite soup.
The curds were left to infuse over 1 1/2hrs. I mixed them occasionally during this time.
The curds were moved to a cheesecloth lined 2kg hard cheese mould and pressed for the following weights and times.
7.5kg for 30 minutes
12.5kg for 1hr
25kg for 10hrs
25kg for 14hrs (the last hour was without the cheesecloth)

Afterwards it was air dried for a day in the cave and then vacuum bagged.

Below are some photos of the make and the end result. The smell is unmistakably Vegemite. I'm not sure how long I'll age it. I guess I will give it a try at 3 months and see how it tastes. I have no idea whether there is too much Vegemite in it or not. As Vegemite is very salty I never added any to the curds during the milling. I hope this was a correct decision.

Shane

Kern

Re: A match made in heaven or Frankenstein's Monster??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
Shane, it is one pretty cheese.  However, from 7,000 miles away it is hard to smell the odor.  Give us a report when you can.   ;)

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 12:49:14 AM »
Thanks Kern. I'd be happy to send you a jar of Vegemite if you like. You'll be instantly transported to my cheese cave.  ;D Vegemite is an acquired taste. Unfortunately when it is given to foreigners to trial it is usually applied as a thick covering like peanut butter. I'm not sure of many Australians who would use so much. Here it is used as a thin smear and is delicious on fresh toast with plenty of butter. :)

Shane

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
That has to be worth a cheese for your spirit of adventure as well as the nice looking cheddar.
I will be interested to hear how it turns out but iexpect that will be a while off yet.
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »
Thanks Andrew. We need time machines in this hobby......

Shane

alld01

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 02:08:07 AM »
Below are some photos of the make and the end result. The smell is unmistakably Vegemite. I'm not sure how long I'll age it. I guess I will give it a try at 3 months and see how it tastes.

This post is a bit old but I'm keen to know how the vegemite cheddar tasted?! 

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:22:29 AM »
Unfortunately I never got to try it. My health has not been the greatest and while I was in hospital my cheese cave stopped working (Australian summer). When I returned home from hospital I had to dispose of all of the contents unfortunately. This was one of the cheeses in there. I'm slowly improving and have just bought a nice new cave, so hope to get back into cheesemaking again shortly. This will be on my make list again.

Shane

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:29:45 AM »
Good luck with your health, your cave and your cheddarmite.
- Andrew

shaneb

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:43:27 AM »
Thanks Andrew.

Shane

Duntov

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »
Interesting.  I have heard of Vegemite but not Vegemite soup.  Here in the Florida we have many immigrants from the British Colonies of the Caribbean so some of the stores carry Marmite that is made in the UK that I think is similar to Vegemite.  I use it in stews and soups all the time, and yes on toast.

shaneb

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »
We don't make vegemite soup that I'm aware of. It was just my description of how I was infusing out into the curds. :-) Yes, Marmite should be very similar. I haven't tasted it myself, but there are different camps on who prefers which brand....

Shane

alld01

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 09:24:01 AM »
Unfortunately I never got to try it. My health has not been the greatest and while I was in hospital my cheese cave stopped working (Australian summer). When I returned home from hospital I had to dispose of all of the contents unfortunately. This was one of the cheeses in there. I'm slowly improving and have just bought a nice new cave, so hope to get back into cheesemaking again shortly. This will be on my make list again.

Shane
Great to hear you're on the mend Shane - please post back here if you do try a Vegemite version again, look forward to hearing how it goes :)  cheers

shaneb

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 02:06:35 AM »
Thanks for that. I will certainly do. I've only made the one batch of cheese lately, a batch of Mal's Malembert since recovering, but I hope to make more cheeses soon.

Shane