Author Topic: A new Cheese for me - A basic Tomme-style.  (Read 3965 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
A new Cheese for me - A basic Tomme-style.
« on: June 19, 2015, 11:45:23 PM »
Today is just an experimentation day.  A cheese directly from Gianaclis Caldwell's wonderful book.  I also have the opportunity to try some new - well to me they're new :) MA4001 - yeah we finally have some -- woowoo! and also to try a different milk.  It is organic - not that I care one way or another - 4.1% fat and a good protein level to capture the fats.  I don't have any of the adjunct ripening cultures as yet like Mycodore or Mycoderm. 
So here is the basic Tomme style from the book.  I will create a nicer control sheet for this later.

8 litres milk
1/8th tspoon of MA4001
1.5mls rennet - going to use 2 mls
1/8th Calcium Chloride
Heavy Brine.

Bring milk to 31-32 DegC
add cultures
Add Ca Chloride
Ripen for 15 minutes (now I know that isn't enough) so 30 minutes.

Looking for a coagulation time of 45 minutes or using a 3.5 multiplier for the flocculation method to determine curd cut.

Cut the curd into 1 cm (1/2 inch) and rest for 5 minutes to heal

Stir and raise the temp to 38 DegC over 30 minutes.  I don't really use the 'Texture Test'

Maintain the temperature at 38 Deg C (100DegF) and stir for 30 minutes.  The pH goal of the whey is about 6.4.  The curds should be springy and even in texture.
Drain to the level of the curds.
While still in the pot gently hand press into the approximate size of the mold while still under the whey.  This is called pitching the curd.
When in a nice shape and size place the curds in a lined mold and just place in the whey.  After 15 minutes add a light weight.

Opps the Temp Alarm went off - so back soon.

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: A new Cheese for me - A basic Tomme-style.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:59 AM »
So now my Progress ...
Rehydrated the culture @29 DegC in a little bowl.  I used Dash and Pinch of the MA4000 using the mini spoons for 8 litres.
Added this to the MIlk @ 31 DegC along with the CaCl2 diluted in a 1/4 cup of un-Chlorinated water.

Set the timer for 30 minutes. Time for a coffee.
 You've all seen my kitchen so I leave those photos off but I try and get photos of the 'Curd Pitching'.

Back soon
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:48:08 AM »
10:29 added 2 mls of 200 IMCU rennet and aiming for a Floc of 12-14 minutes.

Got 15 minutes - was to be expected the rennet I use is very consistent. using a 3.5 multiplier = 53 minutes so Curd Cutting at 11:22 ish !

Back soon...

-- Mal

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:21:02 AM »
Hi Mal. I'll be watching this one with interest; it's on my to-do list.
What rennet do you use?
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 03:03:05 AM »
I use manufactured Rennet - ChyMax I think its called - 200 IMCU I'm presuming that it is single strength rennet. 

1:02 Whey pH is 6.45 so time to 'Pitch' - wash hands and time to get into it.

Back Soon

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 04:53:50 AM »
Here are some images. I know you are all hanging out for them

1. The New Milk 4.1% fat and a good protein to fat ratio - you can see that later on by the lovely translucency of the whey.
2. the next five images are of the curd progression where you can see the changes from first cut through to finished cooking.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 04:56:16 AM »
Opps sorry the browser packed it in

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 05:04:44 AM »
Now for Pitching - Gianaclis mentions this technique a couple of time and so here is my take on it.

How I think it goes is that you get your - clean - hands into the curds and gather them together.  I use a couple of cheese matts to round the curds up - under whey and still at the final Temperature.

1. Drain to the level of the whey.
2. Start gathering them in
3. They're slippery little blighters
4. Once gathered - I leave them for 10 minutes to matt together as it makes the gathering with the cheese cloth easier.
5. slip the cheese cloth under the curds and up the other side.
6. I then use the matts to scoop any curds that escaped and place them in the mold.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 05:10:39 AM »
After the first light press the curds have nicely started tho knit.  Need to get the pH down to 5.4 before brining and the final measurement before pressing was 6.44 - so right on the money so far.

This has been a great day.

-- Mal

shaneb

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 05:14:21 AM »
Looking good Mal. This one is on my list of cheeses to do. Did you get your MA4001 from Green Living Australia?

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 06:51:47 AM »
Yeah Shane - Finally they have both the MA4000 series and the MM100 cultures - been asking them for while and finally got some last week so I was hot their door Friday.  They call it Strong and Medium Mesophilic cultures.  The main difference is the MA4000 has a thermo added as well (ST) which just adds that little bit extra at the 38 - 39 Deg mark.  The MO 036R I use scalds at 38 - with this I have a little more leeway at the top temperature range.  The MM100 is almost the same as the MO36R just a different composition.  I'm looking forward to trying that one on my Blues.

-- Mal   

shaneb

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
Thanks Mal. I might have to look at getting some. I'll get some GC while I'm at it.

Shane

jmason

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
Mal,
Thought you might like this video of Mary Rose livingston making tomme.  Thought you might like the part where she hand gathers the curds and puts them into molds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5Gk6QO8J4

the other videos in the series are also good, but more about the sheep then the cheese.

John

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »
Thanks John for the link - very informative.  Just wish we had the opportunity to do something like this.  Sigh !!
We keep dreaming. The cheese way brined overnight. Might be a little long but it wasn't heavy to being with.  So, It should be fine - I'll find out in a couple of months :o

-- Mal